Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big90Ben

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Mac user for 3 years and thinking of getting the ball rolling on dropping cable, getting HD Antenna, Hulu, Netflix, etc --> AND setting up a good HTPC system. I've been reading these forums for awhile and was waiting on the new Mac Mini.

Now that it's here, I have a basic question: Why not use a Macbook Pro that seems much more customizable than the Mac Mini? Is it purely the "size" factor? The Mini is nice and small but... seems like my current MBP has more power. I'm looking at a new MBP so I had thoughts of donating my current MBP to my HTPC cause.

Please let this novice know what the cons are of using a Macbook Pro as an HTPC.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I can't really think of any big cons. The lack of HDMI is a minor con but not that big. Why don't you just hook it to your TV and try it out! That's the best way. If you face some things you think Mini would handle better, get Mini for that

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
you could certainly use your old mbp as an htpc. the mini is basically a screenless 13" mbp anyway if you break it down. however if you're in the market for a new htpc, it all just boils down to price. $700 vs $1200. if i get everything i need at $700, why spend more?

marktatham

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
Home Theater

I like the idea of recycling the old laptop. Seems crazy to take action on this with the new ATV coming out any time now. It has been a long time in coming out so I can only think that it packs in a bunch of good functionality. I would think chill on this unless your REAL reason for this is upgrading the MBP, in which case I say full steam ahead!!!

mmontano

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2003
Vancouver, BC, Canada
physical size.

Other than the guts, the MacMini and MBP are obviously different physically shapes.

Knowing my wife wouldn't support cables and open cabinetry doors in our 'media' room, what I could more elegantly wire up would trump capabilities.

(Gosh, I haven't logged into MacRumours for 6 YEARS. I'm feeling old.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.