HTPC mini replace by Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by blacka4, Sep 12, 2011.

1. blacka4 macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,
    I only have 3 quick questions:
    1. Lion doesn't have the Front Row app correct?
    2. Plex will not play iTunes Bought content (because I have a lot of it)
    3. Should I replace my mini with a Apple Tv and repurpose the mini as a media/time machine server?

Thanks

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yup, the ATV 2 is probably the best solution. The integration with iTunes is so thorough and solid that I have no interest in hacking it as a few do. My Mini makes a great home server since I connected external storage to it. It holds all my media and is a central backup location for my stuff. Highly recommended.

3. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the quick reply. Now the decision on to wait for the refresh of Apple TV or buy now

4. sandyjmacdonald macrumors 6502

I think Plex does play iTunes Store content, no?

5. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502

this I don't know. Google searches are bringing up past threads to the effect that Plex doesn't play iTunes Content because if DRM. Now Apple supposedly removed the DRM from files, but I don't know if that means it removed it from the files I already purchased and downloaded or just the more recent stuff

6. roidy macrumors 6502a

Apple only removed the DRM from their music files but not from their video content. So Apple music will play on any device or player but video will only play in Quicktime, iTunes or any Apple hardware device(eg ATV, iPod and so on), basically Apple approved hardware and software.

7. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does any one here think Atv will ever get 1080i support?

8. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

On the existing hardware? No, I doubt it.

On the next version? It's possible, but based on the previous model you may be waiting another couple years for that to be released.

9. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I was in the same boat last week. I didn't want to get an ATV due to a 1080p model possibly coming. Then I realized 2 things: 1, it's only 100 bucks and 2, I can always move it to another room and get AirPlay in there. The ATV is seriously one of my best purchases this year. It works so well with my iTunes library that I'm not sure why I didn't get one sooner.

10. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

ya, this is pretty much how I feel.

11. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Guess I need to get a Apple Tv.

I think this is what I am going to do. I just don't know what its going to look like on my 60in

12. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Not video, and removal of Front Row from Lion makes it less convenient to access from an HTPC than before. Using PLEX in Snow Leopard allowed you to open Front Row right from PLEX to play any iTunes DRM content and then return to PLEX when finished, thus eliminating the need to use a mouse/trackpad to access the video in iTunes.

13. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I have both a Mini based HTPC and an Apple TV2 and I have to say the former gets very little use now. The ATV2 does the majority of what I need.

The one exception is TV recording which i do not do nearly as much as I did in the in the pre-Netflix days. For that the mini still soldiers on with its EyeTV250 from Elgato.

14. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I was surprised when I found out how much content is broadcast in 720p. I suspect you'll be fine with the ATV 2. If I want something that will really knock my socks off, I grab a blu-ray. There's no substitute for an full bit-rate 1080p signal with 7.1 channels of lossless sound. But, the ATV is good enough that I don't care, most of the time.

15. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a PS3 for the blu-ray. Most of my movie collection is in itunes though.

16. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

At $100 each we have two ATV and will most likely pick up a third soon (October). Just a great purple device, needs to get a app store soon but for your iTunes content, Netflix and YouTube it is great. Allowed us to cut out cable about a year ago.

17. Stovepiper macrumors member

Granted I haven't had a full cup of coffee yet this morning, but purple device?

18. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502

i was thinking the same thing and i have been awake for over 5 hours already.

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

One man's black is another man's purple.

20. MrMoore macrumors 6502

21. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Ok wow spellcheck changed it to purple, but I cannot remember what I was going for. So I will just leave as purple :)

22. blacka4 thread starter macrumors 6502

well, the verdict is in. I am getting 2 apple Tv's and going to repurpose the Mini into Lion Server for media and VPN services among time machine back up server.

Anyone here know if I jailbreak the ATV2 I can get a VPN app installed to allow it to connect to a VPN server so I can do remote streamingm between houses? My Parents have a Apple TV, but when I moved out I took my mini what was the media server so to speak, now they can't watch any of the movies I had and I would like to be able to to this again. they have the First version of the apple tv from what I read running tiger.

23. Iamgort macrumors regular

I have a mini with plex running in my living room, and an appletv in my bedroom jailbroken with plex running. Great combo. Can stream my plex library to the appletv or itunes content.

24. Ventucky macrumors newbie

Ventucky

25. merman637 macrumors member

me too

I have done the same, and it works just as before.

I started trying to use my original mini as a htpc...too much stutter. dvi to hdmi, then usb to toslink. pain. clutter. then moved to appletv gen1. much better, but still laggy and took forever to "hack" no netflix, etc.
    just a few months ago i bought an atv2 and within 2 weeks i bought a 2nd for the bedroom tv. Very easy to set up. ive used firecore and ripit, and now have all of my itunes, dvd's, cd's, photos, etc. accessible from any tv in the house.
    I got rid of cable years ago. 7 to be exact.