Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
MacOS X has Apache built-in. It is the basis of Personal Web Sharing. If you want to spend money, then you may buy Kerio WebSTAR. This commercial version of MacHTTP is the server used by the U. S. Army.

Thanks for the info. I actually played around with the "Web Sharing" feature in Mac OS X and while awesome that it's built in, it wasn't as convenient for me for the following reasons:

- Can't specify port to be used (easily anyways with the edit of a simple text box)
- No address bar when you click on a file to quickly get the entire URL to that file
- Can't monitor upload speed or know when a file is completed

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... I actually played around with the "Web Sharing" feature in Mac OS X and while awesome that it's built in, it wasn't as convenient for me ...
Personal Web Sharing places Apache in a box that you can step out of. Rather than enumerating its limitations, you can better spend your time learning how to unleash the power of Apache.

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
I appreciate the help but I'm not wanting to spend time learning how to run a server. I just want a quick and easy program to share files.

therealmrbob

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
I just use an ftp server and tell people to use firefox remotely to access it lol Does that work in ie too? idk. it does in safari.

That may be your solution?

mmetzger

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2007
If you're comfortable opening a terminal, a very easy thing to do is as follows:

python -m SimpleHTTPServer portnumber

Just replace portnumber with the value you want to use - if it's below 1024 you'll need to sudo the command first. Either way, this will start an HTTP server with the root in your current directory. You can then browse through the files accordingly.

I've aliased the command in my .bash_login file
(ie, alias webshare='python -m SimpleHTTPServer 8000') so I can just run webshare wherever I need to.

CalvColl

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2009
How do you get it to automatically put in the password for the sudo. I need it on port 80 due to restrictions via a school router >.<

GringoVigilante

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2014
Some of these replies are the exact reason I almost always eschew this forum. You ask for a simple app, and get banged over the head for not wanting to learn to run an Apache server.

Anyway, what you do is either do the python command, which is great - I've always used it on my linux box, OR:

Download the program "PlayOnMac" - it will install EXE files on your mac, and then HFS works fine. As a matter of fact, I'm using it right now transferring files to my phone over wifi. If you are in a hurry or just feeling lazy, HFS is great like that (as you well know).

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Some of these replies are the exact reason I almost always eschew this forum. You ask for a simple app, and get banged over the head for not wanting to learn to run an Apache server.

You just joined today, and you almost always eschew this forum? :rolleyes:

Maybe you should've continued to stay away instead of digging up a four year old thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.