Huawei and Xiaomi Could Get Major Boost in United States With AT&T and Verizon Sales Partnerships

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 15, 2017.

1. itguy06, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017

itguy06 macrumors 6502a

I do. Although after this latest switch back to Android I don't know if I'll be back to iOS. The features are better, it's just as reliable, and has things I actually use (like 3.5mm audio).I love that it does things that are immensely useful (split screen multitasking) that iOS will never get on a phone.

The Google ecosystem is shaping up to be top notch as well.

2. kingpushup macrumors regular

Picture does not lend credence to this rumor.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Both ecosystems are refined now. My point is that most people are heavily “invested” in one or the other. Most people don’t want to have to download/buy all new apps, learn a different UI, buy new accessories in one fell swoop.

4. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

Competition is good for everyone, including fanatics for each brand.

5. itguy06 macrumors 6502a

That makes no sense.

Buy that new iPhone and you need to buy new accessories (Screen protector, case) and maybe dongles. And those are quite expensive. I buy USB-C cables cheap from Monoprice for my phone needs.

Upgrade to that new OS and you need to learn a new UI. How many times has Apple changed/ruined Notification center in the past 2 years? How much has iOS changed in that time too?

Most of the apps people use daily are available for both platforms. Facebook is the same, Office is there, banking apps, etc.

6. Norwegian_Imposter macrumors regular

Norwegian_Imposter

There are still major variations between different OEMs on android regardless of update. What bugged me the most was the os upgrades being so inconsistent depending on manufacturers

7. yansun macrumors regular

Why? iOS vs Android aside, Huawei or Xiaomi and some other Chinese manufacturers make really decent phones.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

UIs evolve over time. That’s different from a radical jump from one to another.

Also, yes some accessories need to be repurchased annually no matter what, but most Android phones use USB-C or occasionally Micro-USB. Docks, charging cables, etc. are another added cost.

9. Norwegian_Imposter macrumors regular

Norwegian_Imposter

Issues with it being Chinese and the government being part of everything Chinese made.

10. xbankaiz macrumors newbie

xbankaiz

Don't know about Huawei but I used a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (until it got stolen) and it was really good for the price, which cost me just about 150 Euros. As a secondary phone, it's really nice especially with dual SIM, superb battery life, great MIUI support and damn that great IR blaster which I wish other OEMs would put on their phones too.

11. Norwegian_Imposter macrumors regular

Norwegian_Imposter

It’s more about potentially incriminating data being collected by the Chinese government.

12. IWantItThatWay Suspended

How is "Mi" supposed to be pronounced? I pronounce it as "me" as it reminds me of Spanish, but apparently it's supposed to be pronounced as "My?" So "Mi Pad" sounds like "iPad" with an M in front.

The problem with most Chinese manufacturers is that they have no taste. They have absolutely no taste. And what I mean is they don't think of original ideas and don't bring much culture in their product.

Xiaomi's CEO would LITERALLY copy Stevenotes right down to the turtle neck and jeans; right down to the "One more thing...;" right down to the mannerisms.... straight up copy. Not even "inspired" but copy. I mean homages or inspirations are OK but Xiaomi would just straight up rip off Steve Jobs. There's a fine line between homage and rip off.

One time Xiaomi used the Aperture logo for pictures of its phone!

Apparently Xiaomi has been less shameful in copying and are now actually at least attempting to innovate, but I could never buy a Chinese product unless they prove themselves. I miss when Japan was supposed to be the East Asia Superpower - at least Japan came up with original ideas.

13. snoonw macrumors newbie

snoonw

competition is great for consumers . plus by next yr google will also be fully vested in hardware they finally hired 1-2k ppl just a few months back instead of depending on oems. pixel 3 will be serious kick ass
    and more companies joining is great . i think huawei could become number 1 or 2 in the next 5yrs the way they have been growing and their camera has dxomark score of 97 same as iphone x and their phone is rated number 1 in battery both in battery life and speed of charging.

competition is so good for consumers

14. itguy06 macrumors 6502a

Yes and Google is working on that. Generally sticking with a mid to top tier phone from a major OEM will at least get you the next OS update. But given Apple's history of lack of features on older hardware with new devices and the theories that they get slower over time I'm not sure about iOS updates always being a good thing.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Nope, your first thought was correct: it's pronounced "me".

The kurfluffle over "Mi Pad" was based on the fact that most Westerners are ignorant of Chinese pronunciation.

Things change over time.

A lot of us remember when "made in Japan" meant a cheap knock off.

Decades later, the US was trying to copy Japanese work methods and their device and automobile designs.

The same thing could happen with China.

16. Mrjoedot macrumors regular

17. subway35 macrumors newbie

subway35

18. joueboy macrumors 65816

Chinese already acquired some well known US companies. Chinese already manufacture all our electronics including all Apple products. USA owed money from China the list goes on and on. They’re taking over the world and they already owned us. There’s no way out unless we decide we start making our own stuff and pay the debt, I don’t think we’re capable of doing that.

19. FelixDerKater Contributor

FelixDerKater

I don’t trust any phone but an iPhone for a reliable alarm clock.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Ironically, many countries no doubt feel the same about US designed phones with US software. You never know who is helping the government out.

For example, one of my favorite CIA scams was back in the 60s and 70s when they made a deal with Xerox and started servicing the copiers in the Russian embassy in Washington DC.

In each copier they installed a special replacement part with a hidden camera and roll of 8mm movie film, that took one frame per copy. Each month the "Xerox serviceman" would come and exchange the used film for a new roll.

Thus we were able to read everything that was copied in the embassy for years.

21. PG(Austin) macrumors regular

PG(Austin)

That was done IN the US then. That's different. China COULD be doing this kind of stuff OUTSIDE of China and to private citizens with these Government owned companies.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 29, 2017 ---
    Not when manufacturing is going out of the country and we have a government when a penchant for debt and have to pass an emergency order to raise the debt level to keep the US open.

22. Avon B7 macrumors member

Why do you think Apple now has its largest iPhone product offering and it widest price range ever?

Huawei is moving into the US market to eat a piece of premium pie. It might even turn out to be Apple pie. I wouldn't rule anything out just yet.

That's a premium pie that wasn't growing very much and was territory of Apple and Samsung. Now Huawei will stake a claim to part of it and also hit hard on lower tiers.

Just two years ago Apple had over 90% of handset profits. A few months ago it was 79%. This morning I read it was down to 60%.

The premium band is not growing but more companies want a piece of the pie.

Apple had little option but to reconfigure it's strategy which, to a large degree, is heavily reliant on US success. Now, when a monster the size of Huawei comes to your town and plunks down 100 million dollars in brand recognition for the US market alone, you take serious notice because they have the capacity to turn things over.

Whether the move plays off for Huawei or not, remains to be seen, but even collateral damage (assuming Samsung is hardest hit) for Apple will be noticeable.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 1, 2018 ---
    This depends on who it is incriminating for.

While the US was banning (or recommending against) the use of Huawei's networking backbone infrastructure in the US, the US (via NSA) wanted to get into Huawei's products in China. Look for operation 'shotgiant'.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 1, 2018 ---
    People won't have issues. Just like with many exotic foods, drinks and cultural references, people learn them very quickly.