Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Huawei has again delayed the release of its Mate X folding smartphone, which is now unlikely to come out before November.

mate-x-huawei.jpg

Speaking to TechRadar at a press event in China, the company said that there was "no possibility" that the device will make its September launch date.

It's the second time Huawei has pushed back the release of the phone, which was originally supposed to arrive in June or July.

The report doesn't reveal the reason for the delay, but it could be that the company is taking extra care not to replicate Samsung's mistake of unveiling a folding phone that's not fit for purpose.

Samsung initially planned to launch the Galaxy Fold in the spring, but ended up delaying the launch after several reviewers experienced broken Galaxy Fold devices after just a few days.

The Galaxy Fold is now set to launch in September - before the Mate X - after being delayed in order for Samsung to make some design changes.

The Mate X uses what Huawei calls a "Falcon Wing" design with a stretchable hinge that allows the smartphone to transform from a 6.6-inch OLED smartphone to an 8-inch OLED tablet, making it bigger than the Galaxy Fold.

It also folds in the opposite direction of Samsung's phone, so the display is visible on both the front and back of the device when collapsed down to smartphone view. The "wing" at the side houses the camera and allows the Mate X display to be notch free.

Samsung is pricing its Galaxy Fold at $1,980, but the Mate X is even more expensive at $2,600.

There have been some suggestions that Apple is exploring folding screen technology, but right now there are no rumors indicating Apple plans to actually release a foldable smartphone in the near future.

Article Link: Huawei Delays Mate X Folding Phone Again

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I want a folding phone, just not a first generation with all of its possible issues:

- a plastic screen that scratches easily (Mate X: scratches because it’s the entire outside of the device, Galaxy Fold: scratches because it touches the other half of screen when closing up and also leaves a gap for dirt) (see this video @4:00 minute mark for a demonstration)
- a device that’s twice as thick as current phones
- reliability screen remains to be seen
- poor software implementation
- absurd pricing

Excited for the future nonetheless.

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Well, these devices will eventually replace tablets: Larger screen real estate but pocket-sized mobility. Once this technology works, nobody will want a traditional tablet or phone anymore.

Exactly this.

Once it’s perfected and seamless, it will be a very good 2 in 1 device that is appealing for sure.

Reactions: nickgovier

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
So, does the butterfly keyboard break within 3 days of using it?
It could. It could also break 3 weeks or 3 months later... and multiple times after being fixed. After 3 iterations, it still turned out to be a flawed design. Flawed enough to warrant a repair program. To be fair, the keyboard isn't the greatest example.
Point is, @jsmith189 is right. Companies (Apple included) need to get the product right then announce instead of announcing cuz 1st or cuz innovative or cuz we can. Otherwise you end up with a Galaxy Fold, Mate X, or AirPower.

Last edited:

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
Right. My tablet is 12.9 inches. How big are your pockets? :lol:
Well, these devices will eventually replace tablets: Larger screen real estate but pocket-sized mobility. Once this technology works, nobody will want a traditional tablet or phone anymore.

Lerxt

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
You’d have to have rocks in your head to buy a Huawei anything, let alone this phone. I’ll wait till Apple puts out a well researched and developed folding phone that has a human element to the design.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I saw one (behind glass) in the Huawei booth at China Joy the other weekend.

It looked really ... 'plasticky'

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Personally I have no desire for foldable phones. To my mind they will always be two compromised devices in-one. I don't want a compromised mobile phone that's twice as heavy and thick as it needs to be, just so that I can use it as a compromised tablet at home in the evenings.

Never say never, but there's going to have to be some radical and unforeseeable shift in the foldable paradigm before I am interested.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I know first gen and all but for the price it’s too small as a smartphone and also too small as a tablet. Therefore who is this actually for

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate

Or we may get to wearable displays first (AR glasses for example) and negate the need for any foldable tech
[doublepost=1565870977][/doublepost]
Right. My tablet is 12.9 inches. How big are your pockets? :lol:

Is that a tablet in your pocket or... sorry, too easy.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
I want a folding phone, just not a first generation with all of its possible issues:

- a plastic screen that scratches easily (Mate X: scratches because it’s the entire outside of the device, Galaxy Fold: scratches because it touches the other half of screen when closing up and also leaves a gap for dirt) (see this video @4:00 minute mark for a demonstration)
- a device that’s twice as thick as current phones
- reliability screen remains to be seen
- poor software implementation
- absurd pricing

Excited for the future nonetheless.
Too distant to get excited. You want nothing that you’ll have to have if you get a folding phone.

No. They won’t. If you want an actual tablet-sized device rather than an iPad mini, you’ll have to fold it twice to get it into your pocket. Glwt.

First, laptops were threatening desktops, and then everyone’s saying that tablets will replace laptops, and now I’m hearing that folding phones will replace tablets. So by the transitive power of silliness, folding phones will apparently replace desktop computers.

Everybody breathe slowly.

Last edited:

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
It could. It could also break 3 weeks or 3 months later... and multiple times after being fixed. After 3 iterations, it still turned out to be a flawed design. Flawed enough to warrant a repair program. To be fair, the keyboard isn't the greatest example.
Point is, @jsmith189 is right. Companies (Apple included) need to get the product right then announce instead of announcing cuz 1st or cuz innovative or cuz we can. Otherwise you end up with a Galaxy Fold, Mate X, or AirPower.

Absolutely. This wasn't a shot at everyone non-Apple. Apple is very much included.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008

I still don’t get how people aren’t wowed/excited by foldable phones. Even if companies are failing right now they are working towards the future. It’s exciting to me.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Too distant to get excited. You want nothing that you’ll have to have if you get a folding phone.

No. They won’t. If you want an actual tablet-sized device rather than an iPad mini, you’ll have to fold it twice to get it into your pocket. Glwt.

First, laptops were threatening desktops, and then everyone’s saying that tablets will replace laptops, and now I’m hearing that folding phones will replace tablets. So by the transitive power of silliness, folding phones will apparently replace desktop computers.

Everybody breathe slowly.

All of the mentioned issues are typical of an innovative first gen product, not of the folding phone per se. But yes, it will take several years before it’s there.

The foldable phone has the potential to return to small form factors while maintaining the trend of huge screen sizes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.