Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hammertimeisfun

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 28, 2018
"It’s important to keep in mind that DigiTimes has a mixed track record when it comes to accuracy with their insider information."

"That’s not to say that we won’t get reliable leaks as we get closer to a release date, but just make sure to take everything with a grain of salt."

From the article you posted. Enough said.
they already have it on porchse design rs phone

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Benchmarks smentchmarks :rolleyes:

What an arbitrary pointless way to measure a phones (or computers) performance.

Also in that relation, the iPhone x is the far better phone since it costs more :rolleyes: I mean the higher the numbers the better right?

Imho benchmarks are nothing more then a gimmick who think higher numbers are better.

Sorry this was not directed at the op, just at the benchmark being the standard measurements just like the iPhone being the standard measurement. Dxo mark is kind of up there as well.

In photography there is a saying that says quit pixel peeping and go out and take photos!

Can we ban benchmarking? :cool:

Especially when OEMs have been caught cheating on the benchmarks in the past. At one time, most Android OEMs were detecting when a benchmark was being run and they would max out clocks and cores, possibly even at the risk of the phone itself by exceeding its design limitations. I think that's died down lately, but since we don't have devices in hand featuring the K980, we can only speculate.

Reactions: chabig

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Newsflash: smartphone released in 2018 has better specs than smartphone released in 2017. Pictures at 11.

And, in other news, water is wet.

Except the Pixel XL had the best camera of any phone until the next one came out. And the iPhone 7 camera wasn't better than the 6S. So I wouldn't say it's always true.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Specs optimized for benchmark tests on an unreleased phone which the Chinese government can monitor?

Where do I sign up?!? :rolleyes:

Let me see if I understand this correctly. You actually believe that the Chinese government can monitor Huawei phones despite that never actually happening. Do you honestly think it wouldn't be more than just vague warnings from the FBI if they actually had anything? Do you think other governments of the world would be using Huawei tech if it spied on them?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Let me see if I understand this correctly. You actually believe that the Chinese government can monitor Huawei phones despite that never actually happening. Do you honestly think it wouldn't be more than just vague warnings from the FBI if they actually had anything? Do you think other governments of the world would be using Huawei tech if it spied on them?
Yup. Absolutely.

https://www.cyberscoop.com/android-malware-china-huawei-zte-kryptowire-blu-products/

Though “monitor “ may be hyperbole. Perhaps utilize or subpoena at will and without users’ knowledge or consent is more accurate.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Did you actually read that article and still come out with the idea that Huawei is spying on you? Or did you just see the word Chinese and call it a day?
You seem like an intelligent guy. I refuse to believe that you genuinely can’t see the correlation between the two.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Not sure if you can’t genuinely see the correlation or are being willfully obtuse.

The only connection is that they're both Chinese. Shortly after the news came out, Huawei denied having anything to do with them. Heck, there was even a report on Huawei and ZTE in the House Intelligence Committee.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/world/asia/nsa-breached-chinese-servers-seen-as-spy-peril.html

Screenshot 2018-04-28 at 7.15.46 PM.png

http://www.huawei.com/en/psirt/security-notices/2016/huawei-sn-20161117-01-smartphone-en

And just to lay down your hysteria, I'm running a scanner right now on my P20 Pro that would detect the Adups Malware.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
The only connection is that they're both Chinese. Shortly after the news came out, Huawei denied having anything to do with them. Heck, there was even a report on Huawei and ZTE in the House Intelligence Committee.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/world/asia/nsa-breached-chinese-servers-seen-as-spy-peril.html

View attachment 759960

http://www.huawei.com/en/psirt/security-notices/2016/huawei-sn-20161117-01-smartphone-en

And just to lay down your hysteria, I'm running a scanner right now on my P20 Pro that would detect the Adups Malware.

Well, there's also the Senate Intelligence Committee (which included the heads of the FBI, the CIA, the NSA, and the Director of National Intelligence) that also stated that the brand was effectively a branch of the Chinese Government and should be avoid a couple of months back.

Why risk it? There's plenty of ships in the sea.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Well, there's also the Senate Intelligence Committee (which included the heads of the FBI, the CIA, the NSA, and the Director of National Intelligence) that also stated that the brand was effectively a branch of the Chinese Government and should be avoid a couple of months back.

Why risk it? There's plenty of ships in the sea.

Everything I've ever read is about potential ties to the Government, with nothing having actually been proven. Saying that it is effectively a branch of the Chinese Government without proof is just nonsense. I want some proof.
[doublepost=1524964061][/doublepost]In a move that will shock everyone, my P20 Pro doesn't have the Acups Malware.

Or any .

Screenshot_20180428-200607.jpg

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Everything I've ever read is about potential ties to the Government, with nothing having actually been proven. Saying that it is effectively a branch of the Chinese Government without proof is just nonsense. I want some proof.
[doublepost=1524964061][/doublepost]In a move that will shock everyone, my P20 Pro doesn't have the Acups Malware.

Or any .

View attachment 759963

Why you so insist we be shocked by your insistence your P20 pro apparently doesn't have malware? You're the only one here making such a big deal over this, the rest of us are simply commenting on statements made by the security agencies. Now, how do you know, for absolute total certainty, without a shadow of a single doubt, that your P20 pro doesn't have some code buried deep deep into the firmware that's not capturing sounds, locations etc. and sending it to the Chinese mainland? :D

Reactions: jamezr

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Why you so insist we be shocked by your insistence your P20 pro apparently doesn't have malware? You're the only one here making such a big deal over this, the rest of us are simply commenting on statements made by the security agencies. Now, how do you know, for absolute total certainty, without a shadow of a single doubt, that your P20 pro doesn't have some code buried deep deep into the firmware that's not capturing sounds, locations etc. and sending it to the Chinese mainland? :D

I suppose I don't any more than I know my iPhone X doesn't secretly have code sending all my data to the NSA. You've got me, I haven't looked through every line of source code. In fact, I don't know that Chrome isn't sending data either. Or Safari. Or my router or modem. How could I possibly live my life like this?! Everything is doomed and nobody is safe!

That being said, I'm sure people with packet sniffers would have already told us if data was being sent by Huawei. The NSA would have said more than vague "essentially the Chinese Government". No, it's simple. Prior to recently, the House Intelligence Committee used a hack by the NSA to determine there was no discernible link between Huawei, ZTE, and the Chinese Government.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
The 6 had too little RAM from the start and updates didn't improve the situation .

I think the big difference is on android there is no one size fit all firmware. The Oreo update for my S8+ is programmed specifically and optimized for the s8+.

So the excuse that older phone has lower RAM and thus performance degradation just shows that apple is either incompetent to do a one size fit all firmware or it was purposely done to force users to spend money and upgrade.

Reactions: Altis

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010

Or any .

View attachment 759963

You probably won't get proof till something big happens. Messing with this stuff is not in anybody's best interest.

Everybody seems all pissed about Russia, but what if a foreign government had even better information on people, say, maybe their personal cell phone data? Data they haven't even elected to freely share. Yeah, I could see that causing a problem.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Who would have thought that a Government that openly hates China would be against a company with such vague reasons as "potential threat due to close ties with a Government that doesn't share our ideals"? I'm shocked.
[doublepost=1524979700][/doublepost]
I think the big difference is on android there is no one size fit all firmware. The Oreo update for my S8+ is programmed specifically and optimized for the s8+.

So the excuse that older phone has lower RAM and thus performance degradation just shows that apple is either incompetent to do a one size fit all firmware or it was purposely done to force users to spend money and upgrade.

Third option: They overestimated their abilities and made a huge mistake.

You probably won't get proof till something big happens. Messing with this stuff is not in anybody's best interest.

Everybody seems all pissed about Russia, but what if a foreign government had even better information on people, say, maybe their personal cell phone data? Data they haven't even elected to freely share. Yeah, I could see that causing a problem.

We can play the what if game all day. And it still doesn't matter because the instant something did happen, even the smallest amount of data being sent to China, we would know about it. I mean, look at how quickly people responded to OnePlus sending clipboard data back to China.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
Who would have thought that a Government that openly hates China would be against a company with such vague reasons as "potential threat due to close ties with a Government that doesn't share our ideals"? I'm shocked.
[doublepost=1524979700][/doublepost]

Third option: They overestimated their abilities and made a huge mistake.

We can play the what if game all day. And it still doesn't matter because the instant something did happen, even the smallest amount of data being sent to China, we would know about it. I mean, look at how quickly people responded to OnePlus sending clipboard data back to China.

Err, theres been many things with companies from China openly letting the government into their files and such, it's not as vague as you seem to want to push, and it's not as if "everybody would instantly know" if the data is going back to them, its very possible the government has full access to it (without any hacking NSA type crap) and nobody would know anything expect that some of the data is being held in a country by a sometimes hostile government, even if its held somewhere else its completely likely the government has the keys and access to it. In the end it's your choice. But in a time where many Americans are frightened and upset about a foreign nation (ironically one we may not share all our ideals with) taking our data and using it to influence us, it might be best to think about this stuff no?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Err, theres been many things with companies from China openly letting the government into their files and such, it's not as vague as you seem to want to push, and it's not as if "everybody would instantly know" if the data is going back to them, its very possible the government has full access to it (without any hacking NSA type crap) and nobody would know anything expect that some of the data is being held in a country by a sometimes hostile government, even if its held somewhere else its completely likely the government has the keys and access to it. In the end it's your choice.

China has open access to their own citizens, and if you think they want to know where you've been going then you have an overly inflated sense of self worth. I choose to not be paranoid about every single shadow. I choose to look at the device in my hand, look to see if there's malware or any malicious software on it, and then move the heck on. If I'm proven wrong, I'll put the SIM back in my iPhone and call it a day.

As for "not everyone would know"? You're suggesting that China has found a way to deal with the people who have packet sniffers seeing where their traffic is going. I don't know what you think China is capable of, but man do you have a high opinion of their capabilities.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
China has open access to their own citizens, and if you think they want to know where you've been going then you have an overly inflated sense of self worth. I choose to not be paranoid about every single shadow. I choose to look at the device in my hand, look to see if there's malware or any malicious software on it, and then move the heck on. If I'm proven wrong, I'll put the SIM back in my iPhone and call it a day.

As for "not everyone would know"? You're suggesting that China has found a way to deal with the people who have packet sniffers seeing where their traffic is going. I don't know what you think China is capable of, but man do you have a high opinion of their capabilities.

I find this funny that this is always the response to people worried about data breaches and backdoors.

One person is nothing, but when you start collecting thousands, and millions, well then yes it does matter. That's the point. If you end up buying the phone, enjoy it, I don't really care either way. But one should probably take that into account when buying a phone, just like one should look at government travel advisories when planning a vacation.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I find this funny that this is always the response to people worried about data breaches and backdoors.

One person is nothing, but when you start collecting thousands, and millions, well then yes it does matter. That's the point.

And you think Huawei is collecting thousands and millions without anyone knowing? I don't know how we plan on fighting this huge, all knowing, all seeing, un-trackable, threat.

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
And you think Huawei is collecting thousands and millions without anyone knowing? I don't know how we plan on fighting this huge, all knowing, all seeing, un-trackable, threat.

The NSA did it for quite a while.....

Anyways enjoy your phone. It's obvious I won't be getting one, but I do hope Apple takes notice of the third camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.