Huawei P20 (originally P11)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Ralfi, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Just from a design perspective, this concept looks like my ideal near-future iPhone.

It has the squared off edges like the 5 & edge to edge screen with minimal notch area.

Specs & performance I can't speak for, but the camera's being reported as a potential big step forward & from the images, non-protruding (too good to be true imo).

But it looks gorgeous imo...

2. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

3. michael9891 macrumors 65816

Not only are Apple setting the trend for much higher prices, they're setting the trend for design that splits consumers. I couldn't stand the notch, so distracting.

4. jamezr macrumors G5

jamezr

The notch doesn't bother me...it didn't on the iphone X when I had it. But on the X there wasn't enough space to show battery percentage. Hopefully because the P11 notch is smaller they will have room.
    Interesting phone for sure....will wait to see some reviews before I get excited about it though

5. ramram55 macrumors 6502a

Onwards march to become #1 world phone soon. For some Huawei products are considered malware carrier and security threat, think twice.

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

True but it sure is gorgeous. This look is actually what I thought Apple would have done. It looks like a 5 or SE.

7. Ralfi thread starter macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Two more concept videos. Really wished iPhones looked like this...

NOTE: P20 is the new name for this model. P11 was what people originally thought it would be named.

8. connor00 macrumors newbie

connor00

9. Ralfi thread starter macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Big let down in design....

Looks like the iPhone X will continue to stand out as the best user of a notch design, for the time being..

10. PJM83 macrumors regular

PJM83

11. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

What do you mean? It’s a shame there’s no headphone port. I really value the one on my Samsung. And I don’t like the notch but wow...you can make it disappear! Thanks Huawei.

I found this camera test interesting:

I think overall the Samsung wins. However I have learned to hold these comparison videos with a grain of salt. For starters, my Samsung photos don’t come out looking as saturated as the ones in that video. And they don’t look that saturated when compared to those of an IPhone X. If the Samsung photos were that intense and the IPhone X photos are even more intense, the iPhone X photos would look cartoonish. But I had an X and know they do not look cartoonish.

12. Ralfi thread starter macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Bottom bezel. I don't like them as much, if not more than those who oppose the notch.

The early renders of the P20 looked stunning & I had my hopes up for a full bezelless screen with a small notch...

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Ah, yes I see what you mean. It does look a bit dated there. Like an older Samsung. I do prefer the Porsche variant. But my budget would not!