Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
It makes absolutely no business sense to sit on stock and announce you're going to stop selling it. Obviously there's more going than what you see on the surface. Whatever actor that wants to restrict Huawei sales obviously isn't Best Buy.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It makes absolutely no business sense to sit on stock and announce you're going to stop selling it. Obviously there's more going than what you see on the surface. Whatever actor that wants to restrict Huawei sales obviously isn't Best Buy.
Well no doubt something weird is going on. I just wish our alphabet agencies would flat out specify exactly what in the phones constitute such a dire threat to our national security. Is that too much to ask? What’s the big secret?

What I find interesting about these particular models is that they are not representative of the usual Chinese business practice of undercutting the competition based on price. This is really a first rate effort at design and quality with a price to more than match.

It could really make Apple and Samsung step up their game even further. I think actually Samsung is going as all out as it can right now. They’re still feeling the sting of the Note 7 fiasco and will be playing it carefull for awhile. I don’t mind that. I’m liking my Sammy a lot. The lilac color is bold and beautiful and it has the feature set I wanted.

Apple, on the other hand, okay they’re on top of the hill financially. There’s no excuse for their cameras to be outclassed in performance by anybody or for any of the other things many of us have noticed that seem indicative of a bit of coasting. Not that the Face ID tech is anything to dismiss. It’s truly innovative.

But I know the iPhone X can be much more than it is. Heck, just some more software tweaks will make that camera close to perfection. Right now it’s blowing out highlights too much. And they really should have caught the flaws of the flash placement during product testing. Audio is pitiful compared to the competition.

I also wish Apple would go back to experimenting with colors more, but seeing the reactions of so many on this forum to any color that’s not black or silver, I can understand why they, as a western based company, play it more conservative than the Asian based companies.

I’m expecting great things of them in 2019 or I’m going to be very mad at them. Right now, I’m merely moderately disgruntled with a dash of genuine grumpiness. :p

The U.K. is still going to be allowing Huawei’s to be sold, right? Their security interests are similar to that of the US in many respects. If there is a genuine security concern one would think the U.K. would shun Huawei as well.

Oh well I am no national security expert. I am just guessing at all of this and stopping in to admire some beautiful phones. It’s what we smart phone addicts do! :D

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
My mate didn't get the Pro in his shop - just the regular P20.
Not here for that...!

He's pre-ordered his Pro anyway haha. He's a big iPhone guy and would never part with his X, but he appreciates Android too and is massively into photography so this is right up his alley.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My mate didn't get the Pro in his shop - just the regular P20.
Not here for that...!

He's pre-ordered his Pro anyway haha. He's a big iPhone guy and would never part with his X, but he appreciates Android too and is massively into photography so this is right up his alley.
Oh do be sure to let us know how he likes it, and I hope he does.

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Oh do be sure to let us know how he likes it, and I hope he does.

I’m sure he will. He normally sticks to his devices and only upgrades at upgrade time (how I wish I was more like him!) so he will make some good use out of it.
My only concern for him is that EMUI skin, but I’ve never actually tried to use a Huawei device so I’m going to remain silent on it.

Although it doesn’t look like my cup of tea, I know there will be things that can be done to get it less like a stock experience. And if he’s got a P20 in he can at least play with that to get a feel for the software.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m sure he will. He normally sticks to his devices and only upgrades at upgrade time (how I wish I was more like him!) so he will make some good use out of it.
My only concern for him is that EMUI skin, but I’ve never actually tried to use a Huawei device so I’m going to remain silent on it.

Although it doesn’t look like my cup of tea, I know there will be things that can be done to get it less like a stock experience. And if he’s got a P20 in he can at least play with that to get a feel for the software.
If it’s his secondary phone maybe the EMUI won’t get in his way as much as if it were his main phone.

Oh my goodness, what does he think of you switching phones so much? My husband is about the same as I am with the switching around and upgrades. The rest of the family, kids and adults and teenagers, think we are both insane.

Though my dad understands and does enjoy helping me test the call quality of my new phones. He is willing to hang up and redial me or let me redial him using different settings. He’s a good sport and very patient about it all, which does compensate for the fact he can be a bit blunt and insulting about my looks and my lack of interest or aptitude with fashion (my mom is a beauty queen fashionista type which he admires—while I can still be found climbing on and hanging upside down from playground equipment on occasion:eek:).

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
If it’s his secondary phone maybe the EMUI won’t get in his way as much as if it were his main phone.

Oh my goodness, what does he think of you switching phones so much? My husband is about the same as I am with the switching around and upgrades. The rest of the family, kids and adults and teenagers, think we are both insane.

Though my dad understands and does enjoy helping me test the call quality of my new phones. He is willing to hang up and redial me or let me redial him using different settings. He’s a good sport and very patient about it all, which does compensate for the fact he can be a bit blunt and insulting about my looks and my lack of interest or aptitude with fashion (my mom is a beauty queen fashionista type which he admires—while I can still be found climbing on and hanging upside down from playground equipment on occasion:eek:).

He likes that I switch so much as he gets to hear all about my experience haha. Sometimes he despairs as we have different tastes sometimes. I love Sony phones and he just isn't much of a fan so he never really appreciates me picking the newest Sony up hah.

He already said he is not a fan of the EMUI skin and I don't blame him really. But like you say, if it isn't his main go to phone then he might find himself not minding it too much.

That's cool that you dad likes to help you test! My mum also despairs at my constant changing, but she'd rather that than a drug or drink habit haha.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Went along to my friends o2 store earlier and had a hands on with the regular P20.
As soon as he put it in my hand, I was in love... lol.

What a lovely device.

Thankfully, they hadn't bosltered it down yet so I could get a good feel for it in the hand - even though it is smaller than the P20 Pro, I was still able to get a nice feel.
I wish the Pro was that size. It's basically perfect. Up there with the X and smaller Pixel 2 in comfort, for me.

I didn't spend ages playing with it, but took some snaps of it.

JJ7cBv0.jpg

KXDfozg.jpg

O8vTTTt.jpg

3qBIiym.jpg

Lovely.
The camera on the smaller P20 seemed really good too. I did a comparison shot with my X of some display stuff on the wall, and there wasn't much between them.
I imagine the Pro would be even sharper.

The black colour is all that is available from the networks direct, only Carphonewarehouse have the blue model. No Twilight yet apparently (according to Huawei).

I then went over to CPW to see my old work mates and to get a screen protector for my X. They had the Pro in, but typically it was bolstered down so I could hardly do anything with it. I spent 5 minutes playing with it for a while and I actually didn't mind EMUI from the small go I had with it.
One thing that did strike me, was how fluid the phone was even in the demo mode with all of the homescreen advertisements and tip banners plastered everywhere.
It FLEW.

The same couldn't be said for the S9 Plus that I also messed with briefly, which was the opposite side of things...

Screen seemed really good on the Pro, and I loved that it could be calibarated to your tastes - white balance, vivid mode etc. I also liked the notification shade thing in black - that looked nice.

For me, I would whack the Pixel 2 launcher on and probably be very happy indeed.

Shame I couldn't lift the Pro off the display and try the camera, but that isn't allowed (which is dumb) so there we have it.

All I can say is I have come away feeling very very tempted and loved what I saw. Huawei certainly have a winner here.
It looks better in the flesh than pictures and it also feels really very premium.

When I had a little play with the Sony XZ2 (another one I had my eye on briefly), it just underlined how far behind Sony are in every single sense. But that's for another thread / post.

All in all - send help. I want it.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
On a side note, I was told not to return to CPW for returning too many phones!

Hahaha omg why?!
We used to have one guy in who was terrible for it, but he would make up faults with the phones and say things like "I was given a used phone" and pretend that the phone was already set up when he booted it up (which would NEVER happen).
He was a PITA.

What phones have you returned?!
[doublepost=1522426237][/doublepost]Interesting camera samples.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/30/17179642/huawei-p20-pro-vs-pixel-2-xl-camera-comparison-low-light

Seems the Pixel 2 can compete with the P20 Pro, but the P20 bests it in lower light conditions.
I think the majority of those samples look better from the P20 until you zoom in.
Once you blow a lot of these images up, the Pixel 2 seems to retain detail the best due to Huawei's aggressive post processing.

All in all, it looks like an amazing camera. But also underlines how good the Pixel 2's is - which I knew already having experienced it for myself! :)

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Hahaha omg why?!
We used to have one guy in who was terrible for it, but he would make up faults with the phones and say things like "I was given a used phone" and pretend that the phone was already set up when he booted it up (which would NEVER happen).
He was a PITA.

What phones have you returned?!

I think I've returned 7/8 over the last 2 years. Mostly phones I just didn't like. One was a Pixel that was playing up. One I liked but found much cheaper elsewhere. I'm not going to spend the best part of a grand without trying them out, so exercised my right to return within the 14 day Window.

I didn't realise that buying from CPW online creates a new account (you can't just log in like a normal place). So I had lots of different accounts and for the last return had to go in with proof of address & ID. And the shop told me to never return. Had to send a friend in to buy my Pixel cases. lol

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
I think I've returned 7/8 over the last 2 years. Mostly phones I just didn't like. One was a Pixel that was playing up. One I liked but found much cheaper elsewhere. I'm not going to spend the best part of a grand without trying them out, so exercised my right to return within the 14 day Window.

I didn't realise that buying from CPW online creates a new account (you can't just log in like a normal place). So I had lots of different accounts and for the last return had to go in with proof of address & ID. And the shop told me to never return. Had to send a friend in to buy my Pixel cases. lol

That's hilarious haha.
I didn't realise that about buying online etc.
Seems a bit silly that they told you not to return when, as you say, you're just doing what you are entitled to with the 14 day return policy.

In Huawei news, I'm so tempted to order this...!

garymontague

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
o_O I’ve preordered.
Here next Friday. God I’m weak!

Can I ask where from and what colour you went for?

Tempted myself but can’t see twilight anywhere to order in the uk but the free Bose headphones are certainly a great freebie.

What did you make of EMUI as I’ve never had an Huawei before and haven’t heard many good things about their skin.

Thanks

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Can I ask where from and what colour you went for?

Tempted myself but can’t see twilight anywhere to order in the uk but the free Bose headphones are certainly a great freebie.

What did you make of EMUI as I’ve never had an Huawei before and haven’t heard many good things about their skin.

Thanks

Mine was from EE as that’s who my second line with and I get thirty percent discount. So I upgraded it early.
Figures it’s better to do it that way with such a big discount rather than forking out 800 quid.

I went for black, as it’s the only choice. I would have probably picked blue though. The twilight colour, from what I’ve read, isn’t coming out over here yet. But places like clove or amazon or even Huawei direct might have it. The networks won’t though as they are only stocking black.

Re EMUI. I have never used a Huawei device before so I can’t really comment. For me it’s more the stock app icons that I don’t like as they’re so out of line with other icons for apps, but I’ll throw them in a folder or disable most of those I don’t want which should help.

But similarly to Samsung’s TouchWiz, I could already tell that there would be a lot of additional things over stock which I like. Like pinching the home screen to bring up home screen settings rather than tapping and holding. I’d prefer to have a lot of options than bare bones I guess.

Worse comes to worse you can always throw Nova on there. I think Oreo has definitely improved with EMUI 8, and even though there’s still some kinks, it’s definitely useable.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Pro. :).
The only way to go. Wish it was a coloured back and not boring black, but at least my wallpaper can be any colour now. Lol. I’m a bit weird in that the front and back have to match so I’d be limited on wallpapers if it was just blue or purple. :p

I’m aware I have issues. o_O:D
Look forward to reading your thoughts on the P20 Pro

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ahahahahahaha! I can live vicariously through you, @Aneres11 :D

Lol, I did check to see if B&H Photo in NYC had them. I always like to see what they’re importing. I was curious if our govt got to them, too. I didn’t see any up for preorder like they had for international versions of the Samsung S9/9+. But it’s too early to make anything of that.

I’m not a political creature, so I am not inclined to praise or to bash what’s going on, but I can’t help but be intrigued and puzzled by it all.

The black one is really attractive. I’m not a fan of the notch, but we both know once you use it, it fades from notice for most people. Plus you can disguise it. I hope you have a lot of fun with it. And thank you for the photos you already posted.

Reactions: jamezr and Aneres11

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
What a surprise contender the P20 is. The reviews I have read are brilliant, the camera incredible and the price fantastic. But why, why, why doesn't it have image stabilisation at 4k/60p? It's a deal breaking achiles heel on a phone that's near perfect.

I snap many videos of my moving toddler so OIS is a must. Yes there's 1080p but the images quality lack immersion and detail.

The Pixel 2 XL shoot better video but the design and screen aren't great while S9 is multi-talented but has a camera that's a bit behind. What about the iPhone 10? No AI camera, overpriced for what it offers and there no Plus version.

Why can't anyone produce a perfect phone?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
What a surprise contender the P20 is. The reviews I have read are brilliant, the camera incredible and the price fantastic. But why, why, why doesn't it have image stabilisation at 4k/60p? It's a deal breaking achiles heel on a phone that's near perfect.

I snap many videos of my moving toddler so OIS is a must. Yes there's 1080p but the images quality lack immersion and detail.

The Pixel 2 XL shoot better video but the design and screen aren't great while S9 is multi-talented but has a camera that's a bit behind. What about the iPhone 10? No AI camera, too expensive and no Plus version.

Why can't anyone produce a perfect phone?

Thats why a lot of us use several phones.....we get a combined great experience from all of them lol

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.