Huawei P30 / P30 Pro

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by noobinator, Mar 5, 2019.

1. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Looks pretty sweet. I still can't get around EMUI.

2. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    Looks sweet! Now the question will be "How do I get one in the US that doesn't break the bank"?
    The P20 was just a bit much especially with the warranty issues ... :(

3. Tsepz macrumors 68030

Tsepz

4. noobinator thread starter macrumors 603

noobinator

5. Tsepz macrumors 68030

Tsepz

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

As a gadget addict of course I’m interested but I won’t buy from them. If I’m going to buy from a Chinese company, it would be OnePlus...in another couple of generations.

My husband has completely different opinions than I do on the matter, so he might actually get one that I’ll get to look at. Based on what I’ve seen from his P20Pro, they do a nice job on the cameras.

I think right now they have the best cameras from the sample photos my husband has taken to compare to the iPhone and Pixel and Samsung cameras. But sometimes their AI gets in the way a little too much for the normal everyday photos. It’s the challenging lighting conditions in which they shine.

That orange is a really interesting color. I like that Huawei is bold with color. I think they kind of lit a fire under the competition to go bolder with color, too.

I like that they’re bold in general and are inspiring Samsung to wake up and bring their A game more.

I am not sure what it will take Apple to wake up more. They got cocky about the notch taking over and are sitting back on that. With Huawei around, they can’t really afford to sit back, ever. Even if Huawei is banned from the US. We aren’t Apple’s only market or even the one they seem to care about all that much. Apple is getting its butt kicked in China. And well, that beast is why.

7. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

Most Huawei powerhouse phones have to be imported or bought via Amazon/eBay in the US, right? Did they reverse their stance on locked boot loaders? EMUI isn't my thing, but if you can get something like Lineage OS on there, it could be a better product experience IMO.

8. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Yeah my husband got his from an importer on Amazon. No warranty. It's not the kind of risk either of us normally takes on our big money purchases, but I thought he deserved to have a little adventure so I gave my blessings to the idea when he first talked about getting the P20Pro. Also he spent some points he had accumulated so it wasn't that much of a cash outlay. It was a good purchase that added to our perspective as to how Apple and Samsung and Google were selling us short.

9. ramram55 macrumors 6502a

It is passing of the guard in the cellphone world, Huawei with fast charge, 4000mah battery and high end camera, will definitely produce more phone than others. P30 will will give early heads up on Mate 30 with OLED screen from Samsung, will be the world beater in flagship phones.

10. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I sincerely hope not.

11. noobinator thread starter macrumors 603

noobinator

The livestream is on now. Gotta love these.

12. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

When I saw that crystal case I thought of someone who would adore it....
    133210878.jpg

He actually was flogging that thing as a new shiney. I have to admit my inner Miss Piggy liked it. :p
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2019 ---
    Okay he is really hard to understand so that video is hard to get through and I'm going to quit trying to watch, but just in the first couple of minutes it blows away all the presentations I've seen so far this year. They have finally stopped the copy machines and have done some actual design and engineering and it's really enviable. At least on the surface. I'll have to rely on those of you who have free market access to these devices to give us a good evaluation.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2019 ---
    Ach I had to look more. OMG they beat Apple to the punch! Nice looking glasses!

13. ramram55 macrumors 6502a

Like it or not they are on the way to world's largest cell phone maker in the world. To them, the world market except US that is what counts. Their technology is so far advanced who they want to copy from?

14. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

15. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

They aren't quite as good as Samsung just yet..

16. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

17. noobinator thread starter macrumors 603

noobinator

The camera demo was impressive and the colors are pretty. I'll try picking up a P30 Pro once I can get one in the states from Amazon or similar.

18. ramram55 macrumors 6502a

19. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Technology wise they and Samsung are leaving apple in dust with how advanced the technology is in comparison to iPhones.

20. ramram55 macrumors 6502a

Some will say Huawei has hackers to fiddle with the score:)

21. michael9891 macrumors 65816

With a Sonos One worth £200 if you pre order at CPW. I'd have probably got one if I hadn't just got the S10+.

22. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

23. noobinator thread starter macrumors 603

noobinator

Dang, that's a good deal. I'm jealous!

Want to ship one to me? :)