Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well for a couple of weeks :D :D
soooo sooo true! I like Huawei phones so far. The Mate 8 and Nexus 6P were awesome phones. I just wish they were easier to get. :) But that EMUI skin takes some getting used to for sure!

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
soooo sooo true! I like Huawei phones so far. The Mate 8 and Nexus 6P were awesome phones. I just wish they were easier to get. :) But that EMUI skin takes some getting used to for sure!
Looking forward to your thoughts, as I am tempted by the P9 plus...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Isn't the only difference between the p9 and p9 plus that the p9 is 32gb with 3gb and the p9 plus is 64gb with 4gb ...

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Reactions: MRU and jamezr

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I was out in town this morning and had a little look at this device. It was nice but the operating system is not for me. Can you change it in any way?

I thought it was pretty horrid and not very intuitive at all but I don't know if it was specifically set up for store purposes?

Design itself is lovely though!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I was out in town this morning and had a little look at this device. It was nice but the operating system is not for me. Can you change it in any way?

I thought it was pretty horrid and not very intuitive at all but I don't know if it was specifically set up for store purposes?

Design itself is lovely though!
The EMUI skin is not intuitive and takes some getting used to for sure. While it is not my favorite Android skin...it's not too bad. I had the Mate 8 and loved it. I could get a full 2 day battery life and 12-14 hours SOT. Huawei does a lot of battery optimizations through their software. Sometimes overnight i would only lose like 3% battery life with all notifications turn on.

Reactions: Aneres11

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
How is the audio using earphones, the Ascend Mate 2 might just be the best quality amongst everything I ever owned.

Just curious.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So - thread bump.
Does anyone still use their P9?
Buy it - sell it on?

Just curious as these are going verrrry cheaply now and I'm looking for a second Android device and this was thrown in the mix.
Is the camera decent? That's the biggest factor really. I have a 7+ which has a great camera, but still want an Android device that also has a very capable camera too, and this piqued my interest at its current price point.

Basically I pay my mum's (mom's :p ) contract for her, it's only fairly cheap but it's due an upgrade and I can get this phone for free without increasing the monthly cost - which is good. I asked her if she wanted the upgrade and she said no, as she's happy with her 5S (which more than does her) and doesn't want a bigger phone. So I thought why not get a second Android device to tinker with!

Someone bought one in CPW last week ( I work there on a Saturday) and it looked lovely. Very nice design which made me ponder.
At the same time though I also had to unbo an Xperia X in 'Platinum' for a customer and I was really impressed with that. Lovely feeling phone and great in the silver metal. So that's another one to consider.

But any thoughts on the P9 would be welcome!

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So - thread bump.
Does anyone still use their P9?
Buy it - sell it on?

Just curious as these are going verrrry cheaply now and I'm looking for a second Android device and this was thrown in the mix.
Is the camera decent? That's the biggest factor really. I have a 7+ which has a great camera, but still want an Android device that also has a very capable camera too, and this piqued my interest at its current price point.

Basically I pay my mum's (mom's :p ) contract for her, it's only fairly cheap but it's due an upgrade and I can get this phone for free without increasing the monthly cost - which is good. I asked her if she wanted the upgrade and she said no, as she's happy with her 5S (which more than does her) and doesn't want a bigger phone. So I thought why not get a second Android device to tinker with!

Someone bought one in CPW last week ( I work there on a Saturday) and it looked lovely. Very nice design which made me ponder.
At the same time though I also had to unbo an Xperia X in 'Platinum' for a customer and I was really impressed with that. Lovely feeling phone and great in the silver metal. So that's another one to consider.

But any thoughts on the P9 would be welcome!

I really like the Honor 8 which for all intents and purposes is the same as the P9 except it's in a glass shell rather than metal. (Also I think the Honor 8 actually has more ram 4 instead of 3)

But yeah, I've seen the P9 on sale new here now for around €400-440 and it looks a smart buy.

Given the software experience I've had personally with the H8 I actually find myself enjoying EMUI skin and I think it's stock apps are actually some of the best designed on any smartphone.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I really like the Honor 8 which for all intents and purposes is the same as the P9 except it's in a glass shell rather than metal. (Also I think the Honor 8 actually has more ram 4 instead of 3)

But yeah, I've seen the P9 on sale new here now for around €400-440 and it looks a smart buy.

Given the software experience I've had personally with the H8 I actually find myself enjoying EMUI skin and I think it's stock apps are actually some of the best designed on any smartphone.

Interesting thoughts, thanks!
I am in such a predicament! In my previous post I meant to say Sony XZ not X.
The XZ only came in last week and I really really like the look of it. The camera also looks great on it including the video recording, which is a plus.
How's the camera on the H8? Or is it pointless comparing because of the dual lens of P9?

For some reason though, as much as I think Android would be a better fit, part of me keeps getting drawn back to the Lumia 950 - but the XL.
I just loved that damn camera! But it isn't as much of a smart buy or certainly doesn't feel like it would be.
I like the idea of Continuum, which I never experienced first time round, and I know it's one of the best (if not the actual best) camera you can get. My opinion of course.

Then the S7 is in the mix, but I just don't know if I'm into that device. Urgh. Help haha.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Interesting thoughts, thanks!
I am in such a predicament! In my previous post I meant to say Sony XZ not X.
The XZ only came in last week and I really really like the look of it. The camera also looks great on it including the video recording, which is a plus.
How's the camera on the H8? Or is it pointless comparing because of the dual lens of P9?

The Honor 8 has the exact same dual lens camera setup (they just dropped the Leica branding - but it's identical)

TBH, I find the camera very good photos and as able to take as good shots as my iphone 7 and S7 in most circumstances.

No 4K video on either the P9 or H8 though - so if video is your thing, that may rule it out. Also the P9 & H8 do not have OIS, only EIS for video, and its not greatest.

-----

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
I saw the Honor 8 today and man, it felt AMAZING in the hand! Lovely device. Left me wanting one, but I do need 4K video recording. It would have been an amazing phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.