Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Huawei Technologies Co. pulled ahead of Apple Inc. to claim the No. 2 position in global smartphone shipments in the second quarter just behind Samsung Electronics Co., solidifying the rise of Chinese competitors.
Huawei shipped 54.2 million phones in the quarter, 41 percent more than a year earlier, to jump ahead of the iPhone maker for the first time, according to market research firm IDC. The telecoms giant accounted for 16 percent of the market, compared with 21 percent for South Korea’s Samsung and 12 percent for Apple. Xiaomi Corp. and Oppo, both based in China, rounded out the top five.
Chinese smartphone makers have been gaining influence as their domestic market grows and they expand abroad. Huawei has pushed into Europe and Africa, though it’s failed to crack the massive U.S. market. Apple tends to sell iPhones at higher prices than its rivals and profits from services like iTunes, which helped it top earnings estimates for the quarter.
More here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...tent=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic
d451a862d3a2d7cb76890194ac6058fc.jpg

Reactions: jamezr

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I think Huawei will be number one in global sales shortly and overtake Samsung. They have been building momentum for quite some time now.

Yep. They make good phones at good prices, and they've been getting better over time. And when they hit #1, people are going to be shocked on here as though it doesn't make perfect sense.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Well deserved.

My last two phones have been Huawei (Nova Plus and P20 now).

They make great hardware (and software recently, with great features such as customization through themes and options to choose how to navigate through android, whether with gestures or on screen keys) at a very reasonable price.

Their software looks like iOS but with more options. Plus their phones are easy to buy everywhere. I still can't buy a OnePlus easily where I live, for example. That's important to me: to be able to just go to a shop and try the phone and buy it if I like it.

The P20 has awesome stuff, like the best fingerprint sensor I've ever been, super fast charging, awesome face unlock that actually works great and super fast, 128GB of memory, great cameras, etc. The design even is a copy of the iPhone X, but with a smaller notch.

Oh! And the battery life is amazing!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I agree they are only going to get bigger and samsung are only going down for here on out which is a shame.

Apparently the mate 20 pro is going to have the FPS under the display and be out this year.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/9to5...0-android-p-wireless-charging-specs-leak/amp/
It seems to me Samsung is distracted or asleep at the wheel so to speak. They haven't been pushing the limits on their mobile handsets lately. I have read a bunch of rumors here and there that they are focusing on the S10 and the Galaxy X.
Hopefully they will impress us with some amazing new tech in 2019 or get overwhelmed by Huawei in the next few years.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Huawei is on the way to be world beater, their CEO a former PLA general has made it clear, their product unlike other competitors are built to perfection. They have been attracting talented engineers and top notch students to build phones.
In China the elite use Huawei phone while the rest use other brands. For those who use Nexus 6P have a good feel of their hardware,yet disappointed with battery problems and boot loop headaches. With cell phones market being saturated, it is time to build better products, otherwise bad stuff happens. Samsung as they said 'Uneasy lies the crown'.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Samsung is still the leader in technology and have the edge with hardware component integration since they R&D and manufacture virtually all of their core components like SoC, display, NAND, DRAM, camera sensor, radio, etc.

Huawei, on the other hand, are putting pressure on other established players like Moto in the value segment and Apple in the high margin segment. If you don't need the best hardware from Samsung and don't like the high margin but like the Chinese build quality of Apple then you'll do fine with Huawei. Plus, Huawei has probably the coolest brand logo with the flower.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Probably not the right place to ask but rather than start another thread. The upcoming Mate 20, is that in a class above the P20?

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Yep. They make good phones at good prices, and they've been getting better over time. And when they hit #1, people are going to be shocked on here as though it doesn't make perfect sense.
They do make really good phones. I recently purchased a Huawei Mate SE brand new from Amazon for $230. It's a GSM dual sim phone, 4GB of ram, 64GB of storage, Built in FM Radio, their UX is decent. It's received Oreo. The color scheme is equivalent to Apple Space Grey. The screen is FHD+ 5.9" and the battery last a long, long time and it has the look and feel of an iPhone 8 Plus.

You don't really need to spend a lot to buy a quality mid range phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.