Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chinese mobile maker Huawei expects to ship 200 million smartphones globally by the end of the year, bringing it within range of Apple as the second-largest vendor worldwide behind Samsung (via The South China Morning Post).

The target was announced by mobile chief Richard Yu Chengdong as the Chinese company launched the latest additions to its mid-range smartphone line-up, the Nova 3 and Nova 3i. Yu said Huawei had shipped 100 million phones as of July 18, the fastest pace of shipments Huawei has seen in years.

huawei_nova_3i_main_1531917531757-800x450.jpg
Huawei's Nova 3i
"Previously Huawei reached the 100 million shipments mark on December 22, 2015, October 14, 2016 and September 12, 2017. As it's only taken just over six months to reach the target this year, we are now aiming for shipments of 200 million units by the end of 2018," Yu said during the product launch.
Huawei's success comes despite headwinds in the global mobile market affecting top brands like Apple and Samsung. In the 2017 fiscal year, Apple sold 216.76 million iPhones, but reported declines in shipments of 2.8 percent in the first quarter of 2018. Market-leader Samsung finished the year with 317.3 million shipments, but also reported declines in Q1 2018, amounting to a 2.4 percent fall in sales.

Huawei meanwhile shipped a total of 39.3 million phones during the first three months of 2018, gaining ground on Apple's 52.2 million units over the same period, according to an IDC research note released in May.

Huawei calculates its global mobile shipments by combining its Huawei phones and budget Honor-branded phones, which have taken off in the second quarter in Southeast Asian markets, especially India, according to Zaker Li, a senior industry analyst with IHS Markit who spoke to the Morning Post.
"Given that the second half is normally the peak season for smartphone sales as major brands will all release their flagship phones, it will not be difficult for Huawei to exceed 200 million units of phone shipments if it has already completed half of that now," Li said.
Since 2013, Huawei's long-term goal has been to become the largest smartphone vendor globally, ahead of Samsung and Apple. Hopes of making that target received a major boost late last year, when Huawei reportedly began discussions with carriers AT&T and Verizon about selling its flagship Android smartphones in the United States as early as 2018.

In January, however, AT&T reportedly dropped plans to carry Mate handsets from the Chinese company at the last minute, after U.S. lawmakers told the carrier it could put future government contracts under threat.

Currently, U.S. customers have to resort to retailers such as Best Buy or Walmart, or Huawei's direct sales website, to purchase one of their devices, reducing the brand's visibility in the country. Huawei is due to release its next-generation flagship Mate series in the third quarter this year.

Article Link: Huawei Targets 200 Million Phone Sales Globally in 2018, Closing in on Apple

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
It was inevitable that the likes of Huawei, ZTE, and Oppo will overtake Apple in terms of units sold. The biggest growth in the smart phone market is out side of western markets and these are mostly lower cost markets. The fact these companies sell more than Apple doesn't really have any impact on Apple.

Reactions: KazKam and Maclver
Comment

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Of course they won't cost as much as iPhone X cost, and therefore sold on a large numbers, since more then likely they haven't spend a dollar on R&D.

Comment

ksec

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2015
Well Oppo and Vivo together already sell more unit than Apple. ( Which is a complicated story )

I think the market in the future will be Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Vivo/Oppo, Xiaomi, which today already sold more than 1 Billion unit combined, out of 1.5billion unit global shipment. Especially when vivo / Oppo and Xiaomi are still limited to Chinese Market.

The next 5 years we might see a lot more Smartphone manufacturer closing down.

Another data point worth to mention is user base. It doesn't matter if they all mange to sell 1billion unit but they switch to another brand next year and not coming back. Apple now has over 700M iPhone users, and still growing. Some are predicting 1 billion iPhone users in the next 5 years. ( That is out of the possible 4 Billion Smartphone users in 5 years time )

Last edited:
Comment

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
It’s sad to see such blatant copying. Have Apple thrown the towel in after the Samsung debarcle? Imagine pouring in so many hours of design work, prototyping, problem solving, manufacturing tests, only to see it all cloned in a matter of months.

Reactions: shanson27
Comment

Bornee35

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Canada
It’s sad to see such blatant copying. Have Apple thrown the towel in after the Samsung debarcle? Imagine pouring in so many hours of design work, prototyping, problem solving, manufacturing tests, only to see it all cloned in a matter of months.
Or garbage like this? I don't think the lawsuit lands in US courts if it were to happen. Probably slim chance of winning internationally or on Chinese courts. Their copyright laws are non existent.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 8.33.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 8.33.13 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 180
Comment

honglong1976

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2008
UK
I think they are only selling well because most people think they are called 'hawaii.'

When in actual fact the name is pronounced 'hu-a-wey'.

Comment

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Probably the shadiest company out there when it comes to privacy polices. I have no idea why anyone would be okay giving this company all of your pertinent data. Work info, financial info, everything. Their privacy policy outlines that they have access to all of it.

Comment

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Hate quoting myself but I said it two years ago that Huawei is one of the three big chinese brands that will take the lead over Apple and Samsung.

And by the way, forget Samsung. Samsung is a copycat indeed, they have never been innovative ... Remember the names of the new Chinese companies like Xiaomi, Huawei or One Plus. This is where the future market leaders will come from in 5 years.

Comment

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
It was inevitable that the likes of Huawei, ZTE, and Oppo will overtake Apple in terms of units sold. The biggest growth in the smart phone market is out side of western markets and these are mostly lower cost markets. The fact these companies sell more than Apple doesn't really have any impact on Apple.
No.
For every sale the competition makes, it's potentially an Apple sale lost.

Comment

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
No.

Maybe. You could definitely be right, but I see the market much differently. People who prefer the Apple platform, typically stay with Apple. I don't feel (and this isn't backed up by data, just what I see) that there is a huge market of people switching between platforms regularly. So it usually comes down to "What's the best available Android or Apple phone?" This will point people towards either a number of iPhone's or a wide range of Android devices, which maybe Huawei starts to eat away at Samsung's dominance and become the primary Android manufacturer. Lastly, privacy is becoming more important to people. Now I am sure there are a ton of consumers that simply don't know any better, but I am not sure why any person who prefers Apple due to better privacy/security, among other things, would ever consider a company like Huawei. Again, I could totally be wrong, but I see Huawei eating into Samsung sales much more than Apple's, but we'll see. Ultimately it won't make a difference to Apple as they are fine having the smaller market share and all the profits.

Comment

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Hate quoting myself but I said it two years ago that Huawei is one of the three big chinese brands that will take the lead over Apple and Samsung.

Not if they can’t sell in the United States because of the US intelligence ban.

Comment

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
My husband just bought a new Huawei. His second. He is firmly in the Android camp, but refuses to pay for a Samsung. Says they're too expensive. He adores the Huawei phones.

Comment

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
No.
If Apple sells 200M smart phones last year and 200M smart phones this years, the fact that Huawei sells 100M last year and 200M this years isn't good or bad for Apple. What is important for Apple, Huawei or any other company is their sales and to a lesser extent market share. Not is they are 2nd or 3rd overall in a such a large and diverse market. If every sale the competition makes, is a potentially lost sale for Apple, then Apple needs to compete with these other manufactures by making low and mid priced phones: $200 to $400 range.

Comment

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Not if they can’t sell in the United States because of the US intelligence ban.

Same can be said the other way. Soon nobody will be buying iphone in China when the anti-US products campaign starts there.

Comment

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
If Apple sells 200M smart phones last year and 200M smart phones this years, the fact that Huawei sells 100M last year and 200M this years isn't good or bad for Apple. What is important for Apple, Huawei or any other company is their sales and to a lesser extent market share. Not is they are 2nd or 3rd overall in a such a large and diverse market. If every sale the competition makes, is a potentially lost sale for Apple, then Apple needs to compete with these other manufactures by making low and mid priced phones: $200 to $400 range.
Not sure I see the logic. The market is finite. If Apple sells 400M and Huawei sell none, you telling me that's not good or bad? The market has ways of making expensive goods seem cheap.

Reactions: Avon B7
Comment

Avon B7

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2008
Of course they won't cost as much as iPhone X cost, and therefore sold on a large numbers, since more then likely they haven't spend a dollar on R&D.

Actually, they often spend more on R&D than Apple. 10% of all Huawei revenues get pumped into R&D and they have over 80,000 employees worldwide dedicated to that area. Apple also licences and pays Huawei millions of dollars for use of its patents.

The Huawei Mate RS costs twice as much as an iPhone X.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.