Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
I bought this one and it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006TT91TW/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1359676981&sr=8-3&pi=SL75

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
What all are you using on it? I have heard external drives suffer and sometimes corrupt because of usb hubs.

I have heard the same thing, which is a problem, as I have several large HDDs that are using up my USB slots. I would like to connect them all via a single hub, and put them on a shelf. Any feedback would be great.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
On my 7 port hub I have:

- FitBit charger
- 30-pin dock cable
- Lightning cable
- Printer
- Blu-ray drive (takes 2 ports for the extra power)
- Multi-card reader

That's it, all 7 ports used on the hub using just one on the iMac. Then on the iMac I have the wired keyboard and a USB 3.0 drive connected. That leaves me with one free USB port on the iMac for things that I rarely use like the cable to sync my Harmony remote, or the monthly clone of my HD that I connect and disconnect after it clones the disk, etc.

Aqueous

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
On my 7 port hub I have:

- FitBit charger
- 30-pin dock cable
- Lightning cable
- Printer
- Blu-ray drive (takes 2 ports for the extra power)
- Multi-card reader

That's it, all 7 ports used on the hub using just one on the iMac. Then on the iMac I have the wired keyboard and a USB 3.0 drive connected. That leaves me with one free USB port on the iMac for things that I rarely use like the cable to sync my Harmony remote, or the monthly clone of my HD that I connect and disconnect after it clones the disk, etc.

Hey, I have an LG BlyRay Burner that takes 2 USB ports, is that the same drive you have? Does it work on the HUB? I tried to connect it to my 30" ACD (which is a 2nd monitor to my 27" iMac) and it freakes out saying there wasn't enough power to run it. I want a HUB badly as I am short on ports, but I fear that half my stuff won't work anyway. I also have a Wacom Tablet that needs juice. Thanks!

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Hey, I have an LG BlyRay Burner that takes 2 USB ports, is that the same drive you have? Does it work on the HUB? I tried to connect it to my 30" ACD (which is a 2nd monitor to my 27" iMac) and it freakes out saying there wasn't enough power to run it. I want a HUB badly as I am short on ports, but I fear that half my stuff won't work anyway. I also have a Wacom Tablet that needs juice. Thanks!

I think my drive is made by Toshiba. It's one of those generic ones on eBay, I think I paid $29 or $39 for it a while ago. Uses 2 USB ports and works fine on the hub (which is powered and provides plenty of juice to it). I've used it for ripping many movies via the hub, works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.