Hubble Deep Field? Pfffft. Thats nothing!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sdashiki, May 7, 2010.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

wow

that is stunning
    cannot believe that actually exists!

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The Hubble Deep Field focused on a very narrow slice of sky and maintained exposure long enough to get extremely faint galaxies into the image. This one is clearly a wider angle.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Amazing.... With pictures like this, I can't wait to see the pictures the one that is currently being built takes!

6. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Its not just the # shown, its the sharpness of the images Im astounded by.

but you are more than likely right.

my thread title was merely hyperbole, not accusatory.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Seeing places that mankind will never visit (at least in my lifetime) is just.... wow.

Photos like this leave me speechless. Reminds me of one I saw here of Earth from a distance of I think it was nine light minutes.

Just a speck in an infinite sea of specks, we are.

8. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Makes you feel pretty small and insignificant. There just has to be someone else out there...

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. ethical macrumors 68000

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Pretty cool. Everyone of those little dots are galaxies which kind of blows my mind. Even if there was only one civilization per galaxy there would be billions of civilizations! Wild.

12. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Just think...there is a high probability that someone/something is out there with a picture like that of our galaxy. They're looking through their telescopes, wondering, "there has to be someone else out there." Folks, we are not alone.

Amazing picure.

13. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Meh... What are you guys raving about? I can do pretty much the same thing in Photoshop with the right plugin...
    Joking, of course

14. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I agree. There has to be something out there. Something!

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Billions of civilizations is staggering in itself, but as far as we know the universe could be infinite. That's means infinite civilizations, which is incomprehensible to the human mind.

I love this stuff.

Yeah, no kidding. Damn flaming galaxies.

Now where's that ban hammer?

16. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

What bakes my noodle is that's how the galaxies were 420 million years ago. What ever is happening in that picture happened when the first creature took its first breath of air on earth.

18. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

:eek: I never thought about it like that. Shows how unimportant humans are at a Universe scale.

19. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

21. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

It truly is mind-boggling to think about that sort of thing... we are lucky to be living in what must certainly be the most interesting times of our civilization, considering the number of scientific and technological breakthroughs that are seemingly on the verge of busting out and changing life as we know it forever.

I read an interview with one of the smartest engineers at Intel, he's one of the chief designers of their microprocessors... he was saying that within 25 years our life expectancy will go up at the rate of at least 1 year for each year that we are alive... essentially meaning that we should soon live for hundreds of years. This is because future computers will store data in transistors even smaller than atoms (from vacuum tubes to atoms in 100 years...), so machines will actually enter our bodies and clean out the cancers and other pollutants that they find... it sounds insane but the guy saying this is one of the brightest humans alive. Not sure exactly how that would relate to "The Singularity" that's also been predicted to arrive in the next quarter century... at that time computers will be powerful enough and data storage plentiful enough for each of us to be represented as data in a computer program; granting us all some sort of eternal life...

But in regards to alien civilizations and that sort of thing, I tend to think that aliens are not going to just "appear" one day. Considering the cosmically young age of our galaxy and planet, and then the truly tiny, insignificant speck of time that we humans have existed at all... if there was another lifeform out there capable of finding us, then they would have already found us... if they would ever arrive then they have already arrived and have been here from the beginning or even earlier (assuming they exist at all).

Also, quantum mechanics are telling us that the speed of light is not truly the universe's speed limit, and the great distances of space really are not as large an obstacle as they appear... once someone finds a way to successfully tie classical physics and quantum mechanics into a unified "theory of everything", quantum teleportation and the "nonlocality" effects of quantum physics will eventually turn everything we've always assumed about space travel totally upside down...

22. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

What's odd to think about this is that it is pseudo-time-lapse. The objects in that picture are literally thousands of years apart in age.

23. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Space travel is an interesting hypothesis at faster than light speeds a couple problems still exist.....first what we see where it is (or actually was millions even billions of years ago) how do we aim ahead to reach where it is now? (as in Now now not the then now that we can detect visually) I don't know if the matter would be as simple as it was for WWII flying fortress gunners aiming ahead of moving targets--maybe someone has figured out a formula for this already I don't know. Such distances might bring unknown variables and non visual distortions when it comes to travel especially trying to hit moving targets at such distances.

The other problem is time dilation at speeds faster than light (if indeed possible) since time is not actually a fixed constant but a concept effected by constants. Would you get there before you left? Or would you almost get there (eg, traveling half of half of half etc the distance almost reaching it forever asymptotically) Or maybe you overshoot it in time or space and go plaid?

[​IMG]

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

25. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

True that the background galaxies are way further away and what is happening there took place at a different point in time as the objects in the foreground, but everything in the image hit the lens at the same time (even though the picture probably took several hours of exposure). So yeah, it is like a pseudo-time-lapse. Cool. :cool: