Home Hue light strip 2nd gen: how bright?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Chupa Chupa, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Exactly how bright are these? Could they be used as a reading light or are they just decorative?

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Not sure I have mine in a tray so it only shines on the ceiling. It sure dims more then the bulbs too I have it ramp up in the morning so we don't get slammed with the other lights.

3. KrisLord macrumors 65816

The light strip plus is more than bright enough for reading, it's the equivalent of 2 normal hue bulbs. (So 2x 60w in terms of old bulbs)

I've one installed in my master bedroom behind the top of the headboard and it's great. At 100% brightness it lights the whole room. My wife reads before bed with it set to 20% or less (a comprise to avoid waking our daughter who has a habit of coming though to our bedroom)

One thing to note is that the layout of your room is obviously important. Unless he light can escape and reflect round the room it'll not be as bright as it could be. For that reason mine is right at the top behind the headboard, and pointing directly up rather than facing the wall.