HomeKit Hue lights quit working

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Goner259er, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Goner259er Suspended

I got my hue lights today. Best Buy was running a special so I hit the 4 color starter pack with the strip for free hen added 4 white ones. I have 3 in living room, one in loft, 3 in bedroom and one outside (porch). They were worked fine and now none are. If I turn the switch off and back on they work for a little while.

I have the hub right beside the router and assume that could be the issue. I plan on moving it later. How far do I need to be from the router/modem?

Also it’s 2 stories 2000 sq ft. Does that matter?

I hear these work great but I’m having issues

2. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

Been using Hue for ages, with 10 lights, and only occasionally does one of my 3 outside lights not get the signal to turn on at dusk or off at sunrise, being farthest from my router (5K sq ft with 3 levels).

You could consider resetting the Hue hub, or adding a wifi extender, or starting the setup process from the beginning with all of the devices and switch.

You said you're using the switch, but what about controlling things with the Hue app?

3. Goner259er thread starter Suspended

I didn’t mean switch. I just meant if I turn the lights off then on again they seem to work better. I have a router so I don’t think I need a WiFi extender. I’ll try a factory restore and re doing it all today. I’ll have all the lights turned on and add them at the same time rather than adding them over time. Not that it should matter.

Thanks for the response

4. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

Okay, so the switch you mentioned was the wall switch to remove power from the lights and reboot them? Also try rebooting the Hue Hub.

I have an Apple Timecapsule in my basement as router, which for signal to reach the front driveway lights it has to pass through this concrete in the garage floor. So I added an Airport Express on the main floor as an extender, and all three of my outside front lights now respond 98.7% of the time.

Before that I was using a couple of wireless access points, one on each floor plugged into the router downstairs via ethernet running through the walls, so we could get a better connection on each floor. I don't have to use those now.

5. Goner259er thread starter Suspended

Got up this morning and all I did was unplug it and move it to a different sport with a longer cable and it’s been working awesome.

Also just installed my Nest thermostat. Very easy to hook up and use.

Oh I added added a scene by mistake and the app won’t let me delete it.

6. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

Did you go to "Settings" (bottom right) > click "Homekit and Siri" > click on "Scenes" and now find the Scene you don't want and swipe left on it > "delete" will be an option.

7. Goner259er thread starter Suspended

Yes. It tells me “ Default Apple Home app cannot be deleted”

I slide and hit delete over and over again but nothing

8. HeadphoneAddict macrumors 6502a

HeadphoneAddict

If that scene was made the default in the apple "Home" app I wonder if you can delete it there? I've never seen that error before though, and never had to remove one from "Home".