Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ellenpowel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
My computer is a Mac G5, OS 10.4.11. I have been using a Huey Pro calibrator. I don't get images printed out terribly often, mostly because they look pretty bad (wrong colors, too dark) but when I do, I usually need a bunch of prints- I'm doing a show and need to get to the bottom of this now! Anyone here know Huey Pro? When I run the calibration here's what happens:

Huey asks: Do you see 3 rings in the upper left and 2 rings in the upper right of the circle? I can see 3 VERY faint rings in the upper left (the black side of the circle) and no rings in the upper white (the right side of the circle).

I click on "no" and continue.

Then I get a white circle with a half of a gray circle inside of it. It asks me to set the "contrast control to 100% and brightness to %50." I do that on my monitor and the gray half-circle disappears. It goes on to say, "Lower it until the top half looks like the bottom half." I lower the contrast until the gray half-circle begins reappearing and raise the contrast to just where it disappears (today it is 88%). I think I'm supposed to be able to still see the half gray circle and then set it so the other half shows up. Not sure about that.

Then I click "next".

I'm shown a black circle with 3 half rings of very dark gray on the bottom half of the circle. It tells me to set the brightness control to 100% and then "lower it until the top half looks like the bottom half." I do that and then I lower the brightness all the way to zero and there is no change whatsoever. (This makes me nervous- there should be at least a little bit of change, no?) It also says, "Or set it to about 75%." So I set it to 75%.

After all that, then I take the little Huey gizmo and get its suction cups onto the monitor screen and run the calibration. After the calibration is finished it shows me a photo of a woman and I can click on "show corrected calibration" button and on a "show uncorrected calibration" button. The difference always is that the corrected calibration is always yellower and darker.

So.... I don't know whether the thing is broken ..... or what! Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
you should clarify some things:

My computer is a Mac G5, OS 10.4.11.

the computer is (mostly) irrelevant. what monitor are you using?

I have been using a Huey Pro calibrator. I don't get images printed out terribly often, mostly because they look pretty bad (wrong colors, too dark) but when I do, I usually need a bunch of prints- I'm doing a show and need to get to the bottom of this now!

so you calibrate your monitor and print, and they still turn out bad, right? how are you printing - your own printer, local lab, online (e.g. MPix, WHCC)? do you have the printer profiles?

also, try some dedicated photography websites, like Photography-on-the-net or FredMiranda

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
you should clarify some things:

the computer is (mostly) irrelevant. what monitor are you using?

Considering that the iMac has a built in screen, your question about what monitor is pretty stupid - my vote goes for the one included in the iMac?

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Considering that the iMac has a built in screen, your question about what monitor is pretty stupid - my vote goes for the one included in the iMac?

No the OP has not said it was an iMac just he has a mac. Could be PowerMac G5

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
No the OP has not said it was an iMac just he has a mac. Could be PowerMac G5

Ugh, I swear that said iMac >_>

The lack of adjustments (ie: failure to see circles etc) is typical of Apple's displays as you only have access to brightness controls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.