Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I'm deleting some of the older back-ups on my hard-drive. I new it would take a while to delete them... but I didn't realize it would take about 12 hours. :p It won't let me put them back on my hard-drive, so is there any way I can clean out specific folders in the trash instead of having to do it all at once?

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
yes, to delete specific files from the trash, open terminal and type

Code:
sudo rm

then drag the folder you want deleted from the trash into the terminal window. Hit enter, it will ask for your password, and then it's gone.

make sure you put a space after rm, before you drag the file from the trash onto the terminal window

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
Alright, when I try to open Terminal it tells me "The Administrator has set your shell to an illegal value." I'm the admin and only user of my Mac.

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
You don't normally need the "sudo" in the command above. Please make absolutely sure that you have the exact path you want in the command BEFORE you press enter.

Hal Itosis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2010
I new it would take a while to delete them... but I didn't realize it would take about 12 hours. :p
Sounds like you're doing a secure delete. Probably unnecessary, and definitely a time killer. Go with normal deletions in the future, unless there's some reasonable justification... in which case it might be simpler to delete that special stuff separately from the more average/boring/harmless documents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.