HUGE Android Fail!! No one has heard about!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mz100, Jun 25, 2011.

1. mz100, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011

mz100 macrumors regular

OK, don't flame me for this.

But one of my buddies picked up the New EVO 3D from HTC.

The original EVO from sprint had an 800*480 screen resolution
    and the 3D has a qHD (960*540)

This was not a beta release either the phone was released nation wide and the icons on the homescreen are lower res!

However in the app drawyer all of the icons are much more crisp and sharper.

So for example,
    If I put gMaps, and messages on my homescree, those app icons don't look very sharp, however if I open up the app drawer (where all the apps are) those same app icons are the same size and look much more crisp and sharper.

If apple did something like this, there would be so much negative media attention, but Lazy HTC didn't update icons on the homescreen and no one has even heard about the problem.

Apple is king when it comes to user experience, say what you want about them but something like this will never happen on an iOS device.

Yes, I know this is an iPhone forum....
    The point is... The biggest iOS competitor (android) just released a major phone with such a problem.

My point was if any thing like this was caught on the iPhone or an iOS device it would receive so much negative attention

2. pyro008 macrumors 6502

Is it really HUGE!!! ? It seems more like a minor annoyance.

And Android didn't release ****. htc did.

3. truciet macrumors 6502

i believe it's the same with the motorola atrix. the samsung infuse looks great though! qHD hasn't really taken off like everyone expected though.

4. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Not really. HTC released the phone and as you said HTC didn't update the icons so how is that in any way an Android fail? It's a HTC fail for not updating the icons on there UI skin they put on top of Android.

5. Pmoser macrumors member

Who cares there is Ios icons with 3gs resolution do you see anyone complaining.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

sounds more like the build the use had the icons for the home screen bake in and was using older icons. Go to App draw and put them back on there manually and it will solve the problem.

7. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

I understand and agree with the point you are making.

If Apple even farts the whole world is on top of them and everyone makes fun of them. I think it's because everyone expects every Apple product to be perfect and mind blowing. Look at the threads here. People just imagine up impossible features for Apple products and then say how much Apple sucks when they don't release a product with those features.

Meanwhile, the rest of the industry literally produces turds and no one notices. I guess the truth is no one notices when other companies do anything because whatever it is they are making is just garbage. 3rd tier garbage that can't hold a candle to Apple.

8. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

You're telling me that android and its manufacturer skins are nowhere near the polish of iOS?

*looks shocked*

9. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

People don't buy Android phones for the polished user interface...

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Much, much worse has already happened on an iOS device.

The icon resolution complaint in your post is minor compared to Apple's refusal to let retina-resolution iPhone apps run as high resolution on the iPad, and instead deliberately making them look bad by pixel-doubling their low res version.

11. palpatine, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011

palpatine macrumors 68040

Would it kill people to admit that phones and their accompanying eco-systems have good and bad points, or is it iphone or nothing?

+1

ROFL. Forget about the Retina display. If Apple would seriously commit to this concept by building on the features offered by traditional vibration technology, it would be a game changer. Maybe iPhone 5 will be the one to do it. I can't wait for the commercials :)

12. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Wow and here I would have thought that maybe allowing oem's to butcher android with things like touchwiz, sense, motoblur would be bad but the OP is right...

Icons looking less "sharp" (whatever the hell that means) is a HUGE fail!!! :rolleyes:

13. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I mean, if you install an old app on your iPhone 4 that hasn't been updated since the retina display was introduced it will have a low res icon.

14. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Of course not, because Android has none...

15. annk, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Temporarily closed for clean-up...

Edit: Ok, opening up again.

I'd just like to remind members that it's fine to create threads for the purpose of discussing products that compete with Apple's products, and/or to compare them with Apple products. If you're not interested in this sort of discussion, please don't post comments expressing a lack of interest in the subject. That sort of comment is off-topic and ruins the discussion for those who are truly interested in the discussion.

16. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I have to say I have no idea what you're talking about. I have a Sensation which has the exact same screen and the exact same icons. That sais, the icons in the app drawer look exactly the same as they do when you put them on the home screen. There is no difference of resolution at all. It is the same hi-res icons on the home screen as it is in the app drawer. Not sure what you saw but what you're saying is totally off base.

17. TheMacBookPro, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Except it did with pre-updated apps on the iPhone 4.

"Android" did not release a phone with a problem, HTC did (...or did they? see below).

Something like this did happen, and afaik there wasn't much negative attention... probably because it isn't even an issue, it's something that would have inevitably happened with the switch to a higher resolution screen.

"HUGE Apple Fail!! No one has heard about!"

Just one more thing- I have an HTC Sensation with a qHD screen just like the EVO 3D. The icons look just as clear as the same icon on my Galaxy S II (WVGA). They're just a bit smaller.

I doubt the authenticity of your story, since I haven't seen anyone else mention this 'issue'.

18. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I agree with you, I too have a Sensation and the firmware on it is almost exactly the same as what's on the Evo3d and I know for certain that the icons in the app drawer are same icons that you will put on the home screen. There is no difference between them at all, and they are very sharp and clear. They are obviously "hi-res" icons. I think the OP was hoping to find something wrong with the Evo3d (for some reason) and decided to fabricate this "Big Horrible Failure".

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It amazes me how people can be so loyal to Apple they make fools of themselves:eek:

20. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

a lot of people just refuse to acknowledge that Android is software and it frustrates me more than I care to admit. Yes, google has made hardware for it- but "Android" is software and whoever wants to make phones, tablets, etc to run it can. A lot of the phones out there are just crap with or without android on them.

21. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Android software is unpolished and the hardware makers are lacking in quality I think. From my experience, even the the beastly Motorola Droid X which had amazing build quality didn't last well.

It had major scratching on screen, screen felt plastic-like, the rubber material wore down, etc.

My iPhone still looks relatively new...

22. Dheald macrumors member

I think a lot of the build quality issues people experience are caused by the removable batteries. Apple's phones feel more solid in hand because there are less moving parts.

When you don't have to let the user open the phone, the engineer can build a much more "solid" device.

Also, we've seen how litigious Apple is. They're not going to sit idly by and let other hardware manufactures make stainless steel and glass phones all day long.

HTC, Motorola, Samsung etc. , they are all doing the best they can with what Apple has left them. We'll see what the iPhone 5 looks like. Maybe, just maybe, Apple will allow them to use similar aesthetic on their touchscreen devices.

23. k995 macrumors 6502a

Are you for real? How about the pixel doubling mess the ipad or iphone 4 have with not updated apps? It looks like **** and strangly enough an app in cydia makes them look a whole lot better

24. dmunz macrumors regular

I have a HTC Thunderbolt and the icons in the drawer do look better. I think this has to do with the solid black background more than anything else.

FWIW
    DLM