Huge battery drain with Flash 11.3?

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
My job was pushing Silverlight pretty hard for our next app release but upon hearing even Microsoft abandoning it, we moved on. Kinda sad. lol

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
My job was pushing Silverlight pretty hard for our next app release but upon hearing even Microsoft abandoning it, we moved on. Kinda sad. lol
In my personal opinion, Silverlight failed mainly because they failed to provide "user-friendly tools" for non-developers. Back in the years, Flash gained a huge market because it had Macromedia Flash around ( now called Adobe Flash Professional CSX ) which is relatively easy to get used to and non-developers could put together small and quite fancy things ( for those times ) with minimal effort. It had some basic code-snippets too and because of the scripting nature of ActionScript 1.0 and 2.0, it was easy to copy-pasting examples from the web and "hack things together" ( there were and still are a crap-load of tutorials on audio / video players and image galleries + more )

It was not the same with Silverlight... the IDE / tools were clearly developer focused, there were not many useful or easy tutorials around ( stuff that could get beginners / non-hardcore developers started ) and the existing community of engineers was simply not stimulated enough to start using it. Why would C#/C/C++ developers working on desktop application for years switch to building web applications suddenly?

Microsoft did try "buying the market", but it was in vain...
To me, they seemed to have no clear marketing / business strategy for Silverlight...
It was developed because they simply had the money to waste... "whatever happens, happens"...
... well, nothing profitable / good really happened. :)

Last edited:

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
Can't just Apple invent iFlash for its IOS products and macs that doesn't cause battery drain and cause diaria?

I have 2010 Mac mini and when I open a couple of pages of YouTube the fan goes crazy I almost feel like the mini will fly to the iCloud! :)

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Can't just Apple invent iFlash for its IOS products and macs that doesn't cause battery drain and cause diaria?

I have 2010 Mac mini and when I open a couple of pages of YouTube the fan goes crazy I almost feel like the mini will fly to the iCloud! :)
By the time Apple "invents" a 100% perfect Flash replacement for iOS and OS X, HTML 8 will be the standard.