HUGE Challenge for You Regarding VOICE MEMOS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by testman1950, Mar 30, 2010.

1. testman1950 macrumors newbie

I want to use voice memos to record meetings.

but if someone plays with my phone and they turn it on from being off, it instantly shows the meeting is recorded.

what is the workaround here. I tried everything, including opening up other apps to cover the 'recording message.'

I turned it off; but when you turn it on, it automatically shows the mic.

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Lol, stop them from playing with your phone? Or keep it somewhere where nobody will see it

3. testman1950 thread starter macrumors newbie

the phone must be out and buy the person so it will record the notes. I need to make sure the user doesn't grab it and say, wow, this is cool; turn it on, and see the 'recording....' message.

4. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Then I'd have no idea :) I don't know why it would be horrible for them to see the "recording" message if you tell them you're just going to be taking notes from the meeting, unless you're dealing with insider trading or price fixing.

If you're jailbroken, you can probably SSH into it and replace the jpg of the microphone to something else, but that may take a bit to figure out

5. testman1950 thread starter macrumors newbie

is it possible to do anything to fix this without jailbreaking/?

6. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

No. It's not possible.

7. testman1950 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because you'll be editing a file that is part of the iPhone OS. Apple doesn't allow this, so the only thing left to do it to jailbreak the device.

9. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Or download another iPhone app that records audio and then set a password to unlock the phone so they can't. Then the 3rd party app will still be recording and it won't show up on the lock screen. Why don't you want any one to know you are recording? Why are you recording?

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It is very wrong to record people without permission. It is also illegal in many jurisdictions.

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I'm still chuckling over the title "HUGE Challenge for You Regarding VOICE MEMOS"

Right !

12. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Haha, true. Mine works just fine. I used it for school to record lectures, but since graduating I haven't opened it :)

OTOH, has anyone SSHed and changed the microphone file? How has it worked for you? Considering you would need some sort of notification section to go to saved memos, etc, I don't think anyone has spent too much time doing so

13. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

My HUGE challenge for VOICE MEMOS is finding a use for it! :p

14. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I haven't really, but I think the file is in the voice memos app. It's 320x40. If you change it to a transparent image it will still function, but be invisible. The only problem is you will still have the white "Recording" letters up there.

15. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

That may be something cool to do in MS Paint or whatever you macheads have for a paint program :)

Eh, maybe if I get bored I'll make one up later on. Just for my phone though ;)

16. testman1950 thread starter macrumors newbie

If someone figures out how to do this WITHOUT JAILBREAKING, they will receive $28 to their Paypal account.

17. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Dude there are numerous (many) recording apps in the App store, some of them are even FREE, download the free ones test them out, read about the others.

I am sure there is a voice recording app out there that will fulfill your "stealthy/spy" needs. :cool:

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

How did you settle on $28 ? Do you have a $28 PayPal credit ?? :rolleyes:

19. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

here is a free and premium version of an app that will record stuff while the iphone is locked and not show anything on the homescreen.

free version http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=340716886&mt=8?partnerId=30&siteID=KEmRFwU0WKY-gQB_t8K7zQEJT76WwJKByg

premium version
    http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=340719254&mt=8?partnerId=30&siteID=KEmRFwU0WKY-PFokFs75YYwbehL4LjEVkw

* I am in no way associated with this company or their app

20. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

Direct quote from the Apps home page

"- Hit the Sleep button on your iPhone when recording so that if you step away from your iPhone and someone picks it up they can not tell you are recording them"

BINGO!! isn't this pretty much what you were willing to pay someone 28 bucks for over Paypal?? your sneaky...spying prayers are answered my friend!

you need to thank Pgohlke for this big time! :p

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here :D

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing anyone else could do on a stock iphone that you havent tried already.
    Its a locked Operating system so noone can modify anything on it without JB it.
    Keep your $28 reward :D