Huge difference in MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Quinoky, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

I had ordered a late 2011 15" 2.4GHz, which was absolutely great. That is, until I noticed the backlight keyboard wasn't lit evenly, and the HDD sleep indicator was really dim. I called Apple, they immediately told me they would send me a new one the day after (great service, Apple :)). So here I am, typing on my new MBP.

You might think: what's so special then? Well, the very first thing I noticed was that both MBP's, that should essentially be the exact same models, were actually completely different from one another. Since I can still put them side-by-side, I decided to do a little screen test. What an incredible difference, I am really genuinely stunned by this. The new MBP seems to have a much, much brighter and more vivid screen than my previous one. Furthermore, the new HDD is near-silent, compared to the really loud HDD on my old one. Even the "color" and overall quality of the aluminum body was better on the new one. It is also much cooler, running about five degrees C below my previous device. And if that wasn't enough, even the trackpad feels completely different on both devices.

For what should be the absolute exact same device, how come there is such an amazing difference between the two? I am really puzzled as to why Apple maintains such inconsistencies within the exact same product line. :confused:

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Just life, mate. Same story with every product you'll ever buy that sources their parts from more than one supplier.

3. BanterClaus macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hold on. They let you keep the old one after you got a new one? That is great service Apple!

4. Quinoky thread starter macrumors regular

Quinoky

Wish they would.. A UPS guy will pick up the old MBP tomorrow. :p

I understand they need to get their parts from different suppliers, but some quality control might be in place here. Compared to this MBP, the old one is really not very good at all. I knew differences would be inevitable, but I'd never expected it to be this huge.

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Well, consider yourself lucky. Could've been the other way round!

6. Quinoky thread starter macrumors regular

Quinoky

Nowhere did I say I wasn't happy, since I certainly am! The thing is, hadn't I noticed the keyboard and HDD light problems, I would essentially have a worse device for the same money. That's why I am concerned. Other than that, no complaining here. :)

7. Silmarien macrumors member

8. randomrazr macrumors 65816

ur saying the same model and specs are different in brightness etc?? right....

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

The guy's not wrong, Randomrazr.

Head over to the MacBook Air section and ask someone about LG or Samsung screens. There are differences. Sometimes dramatic, sometimes not so much.