Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vawolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
I have an Excel-related puzzle: what would cause an Excel file with only two sheets—the first has less than 800 rows of data, the second about 400, both have two columns—and no formatting applied (but with auto filters applied) balloon to 68MB? Any theories?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Copy just your data into a new Excel page and tell me if it's still huge. There could be data elsewhere in the file that is somehow taking up massive amounts of space, for some reason. :)

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
vawolf said:
I have an Excel-related puzzle: what would cause an Excel file with only two sheets—the first has less than 800 rows of data, the second about 400, both have two columns—and no formatting applied (but with auto filters applied) balloon to 68MB? Any theories?

Do you linked charts or graphs in it? If so that will cause Excel to put all the data from the other worksheets into your worksheet as well. Then if those linked sheets have linked sheets in them...well the file can get large rather quickly.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
vawolf said:

Macro virus?

vawolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
This worked

mad jew said:
Copy just your data into a new Excel page and tell me if it's still huge. There could be data elsewhere in the file that is somehow taking up massive amounts of space, for some reason. :)

There must've been extra data that got copies over various versions of the file. I tried your suggestion and it worked. Thanks!

pigwin32

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
Oakura
vawolf said:
There must've been extra data that got copies over various versions of the file. I tried your suggestion and it worked. Thanks!
I think this can happen if you have change tracking turned on, basically keeps track of every modification to the file - might be worth checking in case it's still turned on and the files change a lot, you're going to end up in the same situation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.