Huge invisible folder

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jake73, May 2, 2013.

1. Jake73 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I’ve got a problem with my ancient PowerBook G4 (12” 1GHz PowerPC). I’ve got this huge thing sitting in my Home Folder’s Library folder (I’m pasting from Terminal):

5.3M /Library/Tor/var/lib
    18G /Library/Tor/var/log
    18G /Library/Tor/var

It doesn’t show up in WhatSize, OmniDiskSweeper, Disk Inventory X, or when I make invisible files visible. It appears to be related to using aMule. I’ve also noticed in the Activity Monitor that a Process called “tor” is using 90+ % of my CPU even when aMule is not launched. What’s all this about? Can I get rid of this thing (the one in the Library folder) and how do I go about doing that? Please bear in mind that I’m pretty clueless about “behind-the-scenes” sort of stuff such as using the Terminal.

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you using The Onion Router (TOR)?

If so, here are removal instructions from their web site.

[​IMG]

Then to delete the left over files, click your desktop to bring focus to Finder. Now hit command-shift-g (all three keys at once) and paste the text below into the popup then hit enter. That will open a Finder window in the ~/Library/Tor/ folder. now command-a to select all and then command-delete to trash everything in that folder.

Code:
    ~/Library/Tor/

3. Jake73, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

Jake73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Waselboy!

I'm using TOR if it somehow comes included with aMule - that is to say, I myself never installed it. I'd like to continue using aMule - would removing TOR (assuming I've got it installed) affect that? What happens if I just trash what's in the Tor folder?

Hm, I'm getting "The folder cannot be found" message in Go to Folder. And I've checked - I haven't got TorBrowser in Applications.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I really don't know if aMule uses TOR.

Try the same without the ~ at the beginning. That is your main Library folder and not in Users.

5. Jake73 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got in now. It's weird though - when I try opening var/log/tor, it says I don't have sufficient access privileges. What do I do now? Do I just trash it?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... open Terminal and paste this in. It will ask for your password. That will delete the entire Tor folder contents.

Code:
    sudo rm -rf /Library/Tor/

7. Jake73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Doing it won't have some terrible unforseen consequences?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It will just delete those files in the TOR folder. I suspect this command also caused premature grey hair in my case... but you should be good. :D

9. Jake73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, that did the trick, and I'm typing this, so aside from a few more gray hairs, no other damage. Thanks a lot!

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Glad it worked out! :)