Huge iPhone 4 Shipment to Michigan Ave Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spimp31, Jul 23, 2010.

1. spimp31 macrumors member

I got an email this morning that after 23 days on the waiting list, my order would be filled today. As it turns out, when I got down to the Michigan Avenue store here in Chicago, they had not only my order, but had started a line for both reservations and walk-ins.

I ordered a 16GB, but was allowed to take a 32GB instead. The guy who helped me said this was the first shipment they have received since launch day!

Best News: These iPhones don't appear to have ANY antenna issue. I got mine and then scouted out a few others who were just activated. I asked them to try to duplicate the antenna issue, and none of them could do it (4 of us total). While this is far from scientific, I thought I'd share. This is just my opinion, but I think Apple was aware of issues as soon as launch date, and has addressed them with a better made batch. No proximity issues either. All in all, I'd say this bodes well for anyone getting an iPhone.

Other Chicagoans: if you can't get one at the Apple store, I have it on good authority that Best Buys across the city will be receiving their first shipments in weeks on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

2. nora47 macrumors regular

any noticeable differences in maybe a coating over the antenna or anything to that sort? Try simply placing your finger over the left side black line and see how that goes

3. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Nice. First 5 digits of serial?? ...or mft week?

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4.

4. spimp31 thread starter macrumors member

I've tried to hold a finger and thumb on the left black line, and I have no issues at all. Death grip doesn't produce any issues either.

This may sound ignorant, but is there supposed to be an actual gap between the steel, or has it always just been a black line?

Comparing the left black line to the one on the right, the left feels less rigid, definitely a little smoother. The right side almost feels like it has a slight gap to it, whereas the antenna side feels perfectly smooth. All of that said, there is no coating or anything that gives it any kind of different appearance from photos I've seen. I can post a photo in a minute as well.

5. spimp31 thread starter macrumors member

579C-E

6. bluer101 macrumors regular

Mine is smooth, launch day phone.

7. spimp31 thread starter macrumors member

Then in my estimate, nothing has changed on the outside of the phone. I can tell you that I just tested it again, completely covering the spot with my thumb, pressing pretty hard, and there was absolutely no degradation in antenna strength. What's also weird is that usually in my office I have 3-4 bars on my 3GS, with my iPhone 4 I now have 5 bars that will not drop.

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

That's the first 5 serial numbers?

9. nora47 macrumors regular

hmmm, one more thing. When gizmodo published the article showing that somebody had gotten an iphone with a coating that helped the antenna, the black line on the top was no longer there, how about yours? If its there, you just got lucky and i dont think they have quietly fixed it yet.

10. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

if the starting signal level was 5 bars it's quite possible for the issue not to show at all, anyway.

11. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Is that really the first 5? Should be something like 83027 or something like that. Also i doubt the antenna issues are solved, i know mine when i deathgrip the phone in my dorm room will still have 5 bars, but when i get into a lower signal area the bars will actually drop. Seems like you just have good signal strength at that apple store.

12. spimp31 thread starter macrumors member

Definitely still a black line on the top. Like I said though, it wasn't just my unit, I tend to believe at least the part of the shipment that was being pulled this morning was without issue, though that was only based on my observations of a few other customers.

13. Charadis macrumors 6502a

That's from the IC number. The serial # can be found on the box sticker or under Settings>Generak>About on the phone.

ie, mine is 88023.... which means mine was built on the 23rd week of this year.

-C

14. admanimal macrumors 68040

If you already have 5 bars (i.e. very strong signal) then it's unlikely you'll notice that the phone is actually losing signal. I've been in plenty of places where the signal is great and I can't get my phone to lose any bars, but sure enough when I'm in a place with poor signal I can make it lose service completely. Try it in a place that has 2-3 bars and see what happens.

Similarly, the fact that no one at the Apple Store could get them to lose signal means nothing, either, since all of the phones were probably getting similarly strong signals.

15. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Has Apple applied to the FCC for this new hardware revision?

16. nora47 macrumors regular

because random people on an apple fan website would know the answer to that......in simple terms, not a clue.

17. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Hmmm.....

Lets put it another way.

Apple would need FCC approval if they changed something with the antenna.

Sites like Engadget would be all over this the very millisecond they got wind of this.

And that millisecond would be before nay person got to hold their "new" iP4.

18. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's likely possible to get an exemption from the FCC for a minor antenna change. It's not altering how much power it pumps out.

19. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Also, it's known that you can't always reproduce the antenna issue. Depends on your signal strength.