HUGE iTunes Consolidation problem!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nerrolken, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Nerrolken macrumors newbie

I was trying to move my iTunes library to another hard drive, so I used the method outlined in the Help Section, (you can find it here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748). Then, like an ABSOLUTE IDIOT, (I know it, so please don't reinforce it), I followed the last couple of steps and deleted my original library before I checked the new one.

What it created was a folder of the same size and with all the same files, but the VAST majority of the files won't play. In iTunes it just skips right over them, and Quicktime says "This movie could not be opened. This file is not a movie file." It says that on both audio and video files. A few files play fine, (around 1/50), but most do not.

Now, each of the files is the same size as the original, so I'm thinking the information is still in there, if I can just figure out how to get to it. Does anyone have any ideas here? I am begging you, I literally have thousands of dollars on the line here...

2. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

It sounds like the data is corrupted in some ways (maybe it didn't actually finish copying?) Can you try moving it back to the original location and see if you can open it that way?

Were these purchases from the ITMS? If so Apple let's you have one free "re-download" of all of your purchases.

3. Nerrolken thread starter macrumors newbie

No, copying it back didn't work. Most of the stuff WAS iTunes purchases, though, so what you said might really help. How do I go about exercising that free re-download? Do I just try to buy it again, or is there some special method?

4. wngraham macrumors regular

Apple has occasionally let people re-download lost purchases, but it's by no means standard policy....and it only happened after quite a bit of begging.

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

True it is not easy but I think it is "standard," in that it is their policy to allow you one free re-download in the event that all of your data is lost. You need to actually call Apple, and I am not sure who exactly you need to speak with. Expect to spend a while on the phone. Good luck!