Huge laft fan problem!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tangivas, Oct 26, 2010.

1. tangivas macrumors newbie

Hi,

Since yesterday my left fan has gone crazy. The noise is unbearable, like a motorcycle. I've opened the laptop, cleaned it with compressed air etc.
    When I hit it slightly near the speaker the noise quietens for 30 seconds.
    Anyway i guess I'll have to take it to the nearest mac store and hopefully changing the fan will be the solution.

My problem is, I'm working on a music project I absolutely have to finish by Friday. I use Logic, a microphone (which catches all the noise from the fan) and a sound card. Can I just disconnect the left fan until friday, so i can work on my music project? And turning off the computer each time I stop.
    Would this be dangerous for the hard drive, is there some kind of security so that it just shuts off instead of burning down. I have the time capsule, so i'd be saving constantly.

Sorry I'm a bit long, thanks for any response, the noise is driving me crazy!

D

2. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

Sounds like your fan went bad... The MBP's use two fans to keep things cool (as opposed to the MacBook with one fan). It probably is not a good idea to expose your computer with more heat than it was intended to take, but I don't think it will go bad with only a couple of Logic sessions (you're not taxing it like you would with video rendering or gaming). The hard drive stays relatively cool compared to heat created by motherboard, so I wouldn't be overly concerned with the hard drive. But otherwise you can disconnect the fan and the Mac will boot properly.

3. tangivas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.
    I'll try that then, and hope it doesn't go bonkers!

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

It will de-clock or stop if the processor gets too hot...just get smcfancontrol and watch the temp and dont let it go above 190F

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

BittenApple is right...as long as there are two fans, you should be OK...the built-in cooling routines will kick the other fan on higher if the overall cooling isn't as efficient as it would like. If you want to be extra careful, keep the temperature of your room an extra 5 to even 10 degrees cooler to help.

6. onlnagent macrumors member

I've had both of mine go out on my last MBP. Repair shouldn't take too long but may involve two trips to a apple store. They will want to look at it and then order the parts and have you bring it back in once they arrive. Have the second fan checked out as it is likely working harder as a result.

7. tangivas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies, things are looking brighter, I should be able to work then!

8. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

If your Mac is out of warranty then you should look into buying the fan (not that expensive on eBay) and replacing it yourself (it's really simple).

Other than that you can use SMC Fan Control to speed up your fan to keep it cooler.

9. tangivas thread starter macrumors newbie

There's one last screw I can't seem to take out, and that keeps the fan in place. I don't seem to have the material to take it out, although i managed all the other ones. It's hollow and I can't get a grip. I guess I'll take the laptop to a center as soon as I've finished my work...
    I'll put the right fan on min 5000 with SMCfancontrol, I hope that keeps it cool enough.
    Cheers mate!

10. raquel2010 macrumors newbie

Fan Trouble

My Mac Book just started with a loud fan noise, I turned it off, the computer does not feel hot at all, turned it on again and the noise is still there. The computer is about 2 months old.

Any suggestions?