Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfrik

Contributor
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Utah
I just checked on my library folders. Then I found out that my Mail folder (located above the Mail downloads folder in the library) has huge size, about 4 GB on my MBair. I have been using my Mail since I booted up this Mac. Do you have any idea on how to trim the size of this thing?
I'm thinking to ditch the Mail.app and use sparrow instead. Any ideas?

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
I just checked on my library folders. Then I found out that my Mail folder (located above the Mail downloads folder in the library) has huge size, about 4 GB on my MBair. I have been using my Mail since I booted up this Mac. Do you have any idea on how to trim the size of this thing?
I'm thinking to ditch the Mail.app and use sparrow instead. Any ideas?

First off 4GB is not that big for a mail folder. Second sparrow won't fix this issue. Third if you are sure all the email you have deleted is really supposed to be deleted if not DO NOT do this:

Menu: mailbox -> Erase Deleted Messages select for all accounts

This may trim your mail down.

Cheers

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....the biggest culprit for the amount of space your mail is using is attachments, and switching mail programs will not help. If you are really concerned about the space, you can either archive some old mail to an external drive (or dvd's) or go through some of your folders and get rid of any large attachments you don't need. Many people are terrible at managing their email - they get a msg with attachments, fwd it on to others and never delete either....it all adds up......oh yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.