Huge Meat Recall

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by thebassoonist, Feb 17, 2008.

1. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

2. thepreciousegg macrumors newbie

thepreciousegg

i watched that video yesterday and was in tears.

america needs to wake up and start caring about animals, especially the ones we eat.

no more beef for me.

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

"Beef, it's what's for dinner!"

It's good to care about these animals. Cruelty to any being sucks. But in the end, we're just raising them to eat them.

5. MacMan33 macrumors regular

MacMan33

I agree livestock abuse saddens me and makes me want to go Vegan...:(

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

It's agriculture, just like raising anything else to eat.

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Did you watch the video?? I love a good burger, but that doesn't make treating animals like that right.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But long-term, this video won't make you change, will it.

I'll continue eating meat. I'll continue trying to eat less meat than before, that's all.

9. thepreciousegg macrumors newbie

thepreciousegg

i am aware of what we do to chickens and i absolutely disagree with those practices as well.

yes, we are raising the animals to eat them, but that is no reason to torture and mistreat them. i want to see strict regulation by the USDA. it's about time.

10. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

11. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

shoot! , and i had hamburgers for school lunch on thursday...and i am currently sick with the stomach flu...
    Connection?:eek:

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I don't eat beef and couldn't be more amused at the moment. :D :p

...What's particularly great about this recall is that most of the meat has already been eaten, although it's unlikely to cause serious illness. Basically, millions of people are going to nothing more than disgusted.

I love this quote: "It’s really closing the barn door after the cows left."

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Yeah, but you don't expect anyone to be kicking around your Macbook Pro before it's shipped and non-existent QC*, right?

I can almost see John Pinette working himself up for another tirade: "Who ****** up the meat... again?"

*Although given their reliability, for all I know this might be the case

14. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

You didn't watch the video, did you?

This is why i only eat meat from a local butchers, who I know and can guarantee looks after his livestock.

15. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

16. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Ya, the school I go to had been sent the same recalled beef. Now I know to stay away from it.

Those poor cows, man. It's just like Californian farmers to do something this stupid.

[no offense to general Californians (note I am one)]

17. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

The supposedly sick cows are generally called "downers" and, other than the mistreatment, this isn't a news story.

Don' get me wrong, the abuse is unacceptable but is hardly a reason to become vegan. Carrots are torn from their homes by their hair every day.:D If some jackasses spoil the whole beef gig for everyone because they play with the food there is going to be a lot extremely pissed people.:mad:

Usually any sickness is cooked out of the meat and it's not an issue at all. It's not an issue because the sick cow issue is not uncommon and has been successfully delt with many, many times before.

Furthermore, this "rejected" meat that has not been consumed yet will be passed as acceptable and will be resold at a discount and make its way back in the system, processed, chopped, formed, pressed, delivered, cooked, passed and make its merry way through a sewage treatment plant. Ho hum.

18. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

19. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

No, I didn't. I don't have to. I can buy my meat in the store, and I don't have to hunt and gather. We should blame the inventor of ice, or the refrigerator. Otherwise we'd be hunting/maiming/killing in all sorts of grotesque ways on our own.

20. sowillo14 macrumors regular

It's hard. I did it for three years. I needed more protein then I could get from soy and nuts. I eat chicken, but no pork or beef. Maybe some fish here and there. I do stay away from dairy still.

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Unfortunately, it's not possible for me to become a vegetarian, though when I heard this on NPR it made me want to switch.

I think the one thing that we should ALL remember is that this is an extreme case where greed won out. A lot of places strive to kill animals in a "humane" way.

Personally, I hope that plant manager gets convicted on all the felonies and spends the rest of his years in federal prison.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Actually it would be better to eat meat from butchers you know rather than simply eating less meat.

My meat purchases are almost exclusively from places that do not treat animals in such a cruel fashion. And yes, it costs more to buy from these local producers. But, in addition to the knowlege that the animals were healthy and slaughtered humanely, the meat quality is vastly superior to the factory-farm stuff you get at the supermarket or fast-food joint.

23. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Please watch the video, then re-post that sentence. If you can do that, so be it.

Hunting/killing in no way compares.

Totally agree. It's also good to patronize local produce from an environmental point of view, and (in Britain, at least) to support local farmers who have a tough time these days.

24. klymr macrumors 65816

"Animals... fun to pet, better to chew."
    - Jim Gaffigan