Huge mess up! Did anyone else ever do this?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by chrono1081, Jul 9, 2010.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

So, I've been hardcore learning iPhone and iPad programming for the past 4 months or so and have really enjoyed it and have been completely wrapped up in it.

Well, classes started and we have programming assignments in our math class and they are quite lengthy and complex.

Without even thinking about it I read the requirements and made a really nice iPad app that solves the discrete mathematics problems that we were supposed to solve....then it hit me like a ton of bricks...we dont do iPad programming thats not even taught at my school, we have to do C++ console applicatations!!!:eek:

That was seriously the biggest brain fart I ever had. I can't believe I didn't catch it. I was so wrapped up in my new stuff I completely missed that requirement at the bottom of our lab page :eek:

Anyone else ever do something similar? (If so I won't feel so bad :D )

I look on the bright side though, It'll give me a nice refresher in C++ :p

2. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

The best thing is if you manage to do it in C, then use the same code for both the homework assignment and the iPad version.

3. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Unfortunately I wrote in all in Objective-C lol. The lab requirement requires all C++.

I actually spent most of the day redoing it and its about 1/4 of the way there. I still could smack myself. I've just been so into my iPad/iPhone programming that my mind never clicked out of that mode lol. I'm also going on about 7 hours of sleep across 4 days and its killing me so I partially blame that. Going to bed early tonight!

Oh well I learned a lot while making it for the iPad :D

4. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I don't know if you want to do this, but maybe it is worth a try:
    Send an email to your professor and ask if he/she'd was willing to make an exception to the C++ requirement in your case. If you are asking before the due date that increases your changes a lot. Your email could basically be your original post, which explains your situation pretty well. :p

If the professor doesn't have time/interest in wading through objective-c code, then you're out of luck. But you never know. Maybe your professor has a secrect interest in iPad programming (come on, who doesn't??) and would enjoy a chance to take a look at your code.

5. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

I didn't get a chance to ask but I got it re-written in C++ anyway.

I'll tell you what though I think I will keep making my projects for both the iPhone and iPad and C++ console. I learned a ton that way since my class projects are much more advanced then the book projects I get when reading programming books.