Huge mistake on apple's part with the new macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Alaskanmac, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Alaskanmac macrumors member

I personally cannot believe they didn't produce the new macbooks in black as well as white. Looking at how picky some consumers can be, I honestly can't see a reason why they wouldn't tap into that market. Sure there are plastic covers that come in various colors you can buy to put over your computers, but if apple were simply to produce the new macbooks in black and white, just like they did before, it seems like they would have even more people buying them.

I myself am looking into getting a new macbook pro. I looked at first at the old black macbooks simply because they are so sexy, but I enjoy playing games so I couldn't live with the graphics card that come on them. When I saw the new macbooks had the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M I jumped on it. I got all the way through picking out my specs when I realized you still could only have it in white. Some may see this as picky, but quite frankly it's the same thing you do when you change your desktop background. It's not adding any real material value, it's simply eye candy.

2. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

So you're getting a MacBook Pro now? That's exactly what Apple wants you to do. That's the price you have to pay if you're picky. :) Do you start to understand why Apple Inc. is so successful?

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I see this phase used a lot around here to describe macs. How can a pile of nuts and bolts be sexy? Do you know what sex is? If you're too young then ignore this.

Anyway, as much sense as multi colored macbooks may sound to you and I, the white polycarb units are pretty much branded and you can spot one from a mile off.

Apple doesn't want to lose that trademark.

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

sexy |ˈseksē|
    adjective ( sexier , sexiest )
    sexually attractive or exciting : sexy French underwear.
    • sexually aroused : neither of them was feeling sexy.
    • informal exciting; appealing : I've climbed most of the really sexy west coast mountains.

5. bluesTank macrumors regular

Don't worry.

It's all marketing. In a few months they will come out with MacBook "Colors" or something.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Get yourself a sharpie or don't buy one. They're making enough money without your business, believe it or not.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You are confusing calling something sexy and saying they want to have sex with it. Thats a whole other league of apple lovers.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Wow....and here I thought the keyboard covers were just for coffee. I'm just sayin'...:eek:

9. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Remember that before the MacBook, the iBook was only available in white.

10. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I am good with white, White is Classic Apple...alway have colorware if you want another color.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

And apple sold a bunch of blackbooks for a price premium before the unibody macbooks came out. A lot of people still prize them.

12. excommie macrumors regular

To be honest, I don't care much about color of these macs.
    What I think is that currently you're getting a lot less than before for the same money.
    Perhaps not having a firewire and not having remote is OK, but how come they get to charge 999 for these machines is beyond me. The older gen had more features for the same price. These machines are nice, but should be priced lower

13. germanix macrumors member

I agree with Alaskanmac. The black Mac Book is sexy. It is the contrast of the white Apple Logo and the black surface that makes it really special. The white logo on the white surface does not work for me. I wanted to buy the black version but before I had the money together it was taken off the market. I offered to buy the black Mac Book from my son, suggesting to him that I would buy him the new white version with top specs. He likes the new Mac Book but like me he will not have it in white and not without the IR sensor, so no deal. Maybe someday the will bring back the black version with IR again. Guess I will have to wait.

14. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I think Apple did a perfect job with these new MacBooks. It's a solid machine for the price... all the ports and features a base-model should have.

My guess is that Apple updates the MB Pros next to further differentiate the re-branded lineup (probably a better graphics card and a higher res screen).

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I agree that apple will update the pros, but I'm wondering what integrated video card is available or expected that is an improvement over the 9400. I think a more likely update would be speed bumps on the c2d chips in the pros, or putting mobile quads in them and leaving c2d's in the macbooks.

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...its crazy that when a blackbook hits the refurb section it sells so quickly at $999 for such an "old" gen laptop compared to what you can get for that price or less in current gen hardware...

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Which means that the design is so popular that people are willing to pay a premium for it. That makes it equally crazy that apple does not offer that option for extra money.

Marketing would be a no brainer for the blackbook's return: "Back in black!".

18. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Really?

Attached Files:

19. dubels macrumors 6502

The only problem I had with the Blackbook was that it was just color, HDD bump, and RAM bump depending on which white one you were looking at during the time. It was a lot of money just for what was basically a color choice to me.

20. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I want one, so badly! Graphite, Neon, Blue.......

21. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Obviously, you haven't heard Jonathan Ives talk about his designs? Watch the new iMac video.

22. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Just a matter of time. Eventually all the pros will be quads with discrete cards... Maybe 16:9 screens too :cool:

23. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Okay, you've got my vote, and that would be a good way to differentiate the two lines. What video card do you think they'd use? Since presumably a discrete video card would use more power and produce more heat than integrated, would the 13" mbp be able to handle the power and cooling needs of a discrete chip?

Or, do you think apple will treat the 13" mbps and they did the 12" powerbooks, with having basically the same internals as the ibooks? I suspect this was done for marketing as much as hardware/design considerations to encourage upselling people to the 15" and 17" powerbooks.

24. molala macrumors 6502a

I really like the new design, that it is now "all white" rather than having the very light grey matte finish they had surrounding the keyboard on the previous macbook. But I predict a price drop soon, probably to $899.