Huge mistake

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Allegator, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Allegator macrumors newbie

I'm a super noob..

I tried to unlock and jailbreak my iPhone 3GS using redsn0w to install cydia and the iPad baseband.

Unfortunately, I have one of the more recent serial numbers. The phone would boot up fine but then shut down a few minutes after being turned on. I then attempted to put it into DFU mode and restore it using iTunes which returned an error. Now the iPhone just has the "connect to iTunes" screen. My computer does not recognize the phone and the phone does not power down it just reboots when I attempt to shut it down.

Is there ANYTHING I can do now? Or is it now just a brick...

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

You can try pleading to the genius bar. Otherwise you're screwed;

http://jaxov.com/2011/04/downgrade-ipad-baseband-06-15-00-to-05-13-04-baseband-possible-confirmed/

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

put it into DFU mode and restore it to official 4.1 firmware and see what happen.

4. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

That's what I would do, but according to the article in the post before you. Sounds like he's screwed, and what he did was permanent damage to his iPhone.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I'm not the smartest when it comes to basebands and unlocking, but I don't think basebands can ever be downgraded?

That said, consider it a blessing since 4.1 is still being signed. You can downgrade and use that baseband no problem, but I'm not sure if that baseband is INCOMPATIBLE with 5.X.X, or if it infact RUINS the hardware meaning you're screwed regardless.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

he already screwed. So, it doesn't hurt to downgrade to official 4.1 firmware and see what baseband on it. He will then can reflash ipad baseband again if need be. It couldn't be worst since he fried his iphone with the ipad baseband already. :)

7. noiceT macrumors 6502a

8. Selena Gomez macrumors member

If you install the iPad baseband on it, the Genius Bar can tell. Hell, plugging it into TinyUmbrella will tell you what baseband is on it.

9. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

afdsdfs

if your in warranty go to the genius bar and act like you don't know what happened....

10. Selena Gomez macrumors member

Everyone does this. It's too bad they're helpless against bullcrap consumers. And you can't lie in this case. Updating to an iPad baseband doesn't happen by accident.

11. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Like I said, just sell it as is. There are plenty of non working, cracked, shattered iphones on ebay that get a surprising decent amount of cash. All you need is anything over a $100 which is not that hard I don't think, especially for a 3GS. Cut your losses, learn from your mistake, throw down an extra $100, buy a 4S. Forget that the whole thing ever happened.:D

12. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

baseband

You assume the people working at apple stores check those kind of things or better yet even understand what a baseband is. There is nothing wrong with it. If they don't ask you questions which they probably won't don't answer them. It is their decision to replace it. Ultimately their warranty is on their hardware, which in this case is useless because of the software so let him do what he wants and if you think its unethical keep it to yourself (let him make that decision).

13. Selena Gomez macrumors member

You assume that these Cupertino-trained Geniuses don't know what they're doing. If someone like you knows, no doubt a Genius, someone trained at Apple Headquarters, would know. A baseband is nothing hard to understand. You think that because you think just because you know it, others don't and that makes you feel smart. That post was Applejuiced quality. Full of guesses and personal theory.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Keep hatin on Applejuiced on every one of your posts.:D
    Noone likes you here anyway...

15. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

join

I dont understand, how are you going to join a forum days ago and talk like you are a guru. Please don't.

16. Applejuiced, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like a member that was here before and got banned. So came back with a different handle but with the same distinguishable attitude and ego and tries to play knowitall and trash talk.
    Lets see how long it lasts this time:)

Edit.
    Seems like I was right. "Bandolier/selena gomez" is banned again:D
    lol