Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vegas-steven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
this is really strange.
I WORK ON THE LAS VEGAS STRIP. ONE OF THE BUSIEST ROADS IN AMERICA.
So I am not in an area that should ever experience an outage.

For 29days of iPhone 3g ownership and 29 days of luckilly great 3g reception, yesterday my 3g stopped working. But only in one specific spot.
Strange huh?

Yesterday morning I was ok until while at work I tried to send an SMS and could not send one. The 3g antenna was on as I always surf the web between "ups" as I am in sales.

After that didn't work I reset the phone and restarted. Still a 3g indicator but no way to send a text.

Did a hard reset. Not fixed.
Reset my network (bye bye saved wep keys!) and nothing.

Now IT GETS WORSE. tried to make a call and that failed.
Then instead of Att and bars I get "no service" at all.

Restart the phone...no service!
Shut phone down, remove and clean off and reseat the sim...no service!

So I gaveup and called Att on a different phone as now I have a nice iPod touch but not much of a phone.
Att gave me apology and said there is an outtage but not near me. They are of course looking at where my bill is mailed. Of where I was having the problem.

So I called apple and they set up a genius bar appointment.
However as soon as I drove 1/8 mile down the road the problem dissapeared.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Sounds like someone is blocking your connection, something is loose inside, or there is a problem with your tower's broadcasting to a wedge. Did you try to switch to EDGE and get it to work?

TEG

vegas-steven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Sounds like someone is blocking your connection, something is loose inside, or there is a problem with your tower's broadcasting to a wedge. Did you try to switch to EDGE and get it to work?

TEG

the only way to fix it is to turn 3g off and then reset the network settings. After the phone restarts edge works.

Oddly enough just turning the 3g antenna off does not work. Also strange to me is why the phone doesn't go "oh, no 3g, better search for edge" which it will use only after resetti g the network and restarting with 3g OFF.

There is a 65 storey hotel under construction across the street and a 52 storey tower on top of my office and whether j am inside or out it doesn't work.

29 days flawless servce. Now nada.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
To clarify, this is a HUGE NEW PROBLEM, for you. I'm sure it's just a network glitch. Give it another day or so.

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
It sounds like a tower problem. You should call AT&T again and tell them the location and the symptoms. Maybe there is a glitch that's making that tower not pay attention to your phone. The fact that it connects just fine elsewhere seems to confirm your phone is fine.

vegas-steven

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
well I called Att. I explained that I did not need to troy leahoot and they my phone was one of the lucky few good ones.

Turns out this was antech support supervisor who understood "current location with the phone" and "mailing address on the account" are very different.

Yesterday the regular reps were assuming I was at home 8 miles from work and so had no problem telling me my area had a good strong network.

Today the rep asked my works street address and bingo! Big time prblems on not one but TWO different towers effecting a 10 mile radius.

Horray. Guess I am not crazy after all.

Now can I ask for a service credit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.