HUGE Other Files on HD

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tek210, Mar 16, 2012.

1. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

Have a Mac mini that I bought about 6 months ago. It has a 500GB HD but I have now filled it up. When I look at the properties it has something that is 286GB in the Other category. I have a 1.5TB external hard drive running Time Machine so if it is a backup of some sort, I don't need it on the Mac. What is my best option to find this file? I think I should be somewhere in the 250GB range at this point.

Any help is appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

3. tek210 thread starter macrumors regular

tek210

Appreciate the quick response. This will give me a great starting point.

4. RolledUp20s macrumors regular

download 'GrandPerspective'
    i managed to clean up a load of space using it. i had duplicate itunes libraries etc, this little app helps you see every file more clearly.

works for me anyway..

5. davekat macrumors newbie

Gen Solution

Try this. Go into your itunes /preferences/Devices....and view your device backups. Delete unneeded copies of device back ups. This is the culprit and after removing these you will gain 80% of this hard drive space back.:):apple: