Huge "other" part in iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by someone28624, Jan 1, 2014.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 5. It's 64 gb and I've always been able to sync all of my music to it. Now, since yesterday, it shows 7.47 gb of "other" in iTunes. I have no idea where it came from. It wasn't there yesterday. How do I get rid of it, so I can put my music back on my phone?

I just synced again and now it's up to 7.51 gb!

2. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

"Other". typically consists of Emails, texts, browser cache,Reading List..etc. Delete emails, remove some texts that you have. That is one of the solutions. the main solution (which should be saved for last is all others fail.) is a system restore without restoring from backup. backing up your iPhone via iCloud takes a lot of storage space from your device onto the cloud giving you enough space to install more apps, pictures, movies...etc

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Yep. All this. Go to the general settings and the usage area can give you a clue.

Other things that could be part of it.

You use gmail and their 'little' IMAP bug sent your entire five years of archive to you phone (which is every email ever received or sent on the account). You can turn off the archive in the web mail settings.

Junk in system. Corrupted files that won't delete, update downloads that weren't installed etc. If usage doesn't show enough data to explain amounts this could be culprit. Double if you rarely power off or haven't restored in ages. Back up (iCloud is best from my experience), restore and restore backup. Might be a good time to purge as well. Dump camera roll to computer and skip backing this up (just remember to turn it back on after restore). Clear out downloaded movies you watched but didn't delete. Downloaded songs you don't care to have on device, apps you don't really use, games you are bored with. Backup after all the cleanup so you just restore what you really need.

4. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

There's no way reading list and texts is taking up 7 gb suddenly overnight. I looked at my apps and nothing is taking up an abnormal amount. I did empty camera roll, but wouldn't that be in iTunes under "photo?"

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

You might have to do the restore thing. You know hold the home button and on/off button at the same time. Or add a song and see what happens.

6. cynics macrumors G3

Huge "other" part in iTunes?

You'd be surprised with the amount of data an app can cache.

[​IMG]

That's 219 mb for just one app.

[​IMG]

358 mb for another.

So in 2 apps so far I'm at 577 mb. Plus 1.7gb in text messages. Etc etc it adds up quick.

Edit : look at the times at the top then the usage at the bottom of the pics. I gained 100 mb just by looking at them? Maybe the OP is on to something lol

7. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

I recently had this problem before on my 64 GB iPhone 4s. Firstly, sometimes deleting media from your device can cause this for no apparent reason (apps not included). If you recently deleted lots of music, tv shows, or movie recently then that would be the culprit. Apparently for some reason the media isn't deleted and the only way to properly delete the invisible media is to restore from backup (erase and restore). Usually this means your phone data became corrupted but restoring from a backup won't cause the invisible media to reappear. If jailbroken using icleaner will delete the invisible data and clear up the other. It could also happen if while syncing the cable accidentally became disconnected. The data became corrupted from your last sync causing a variety of issues. This can be fixed by restoring. The other data should be no bigger than 2 GB at the most if you are not jai broken. If you are, it shouldn't be more than 5 GB unless you have massive amount of tweak or have a specific tweak that would take a lot of space (not sure if cydia apps are included in other or apps). If jailbroken and have a lot of other data, downloading icleaner should help clear lots of space.

8. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, the deleting a large amount of media did it. I deleted a bunch of music and it must not have fully deleted. Went back two days via restore and all of my usage on iTunes seems sensical now.

9. JonEC macrumors newbie

JonEC

HUGE "OTHER" SECTION IN iPAD

Yep. Deleting large media files, like movies, does indeed cause this problem. It seems as if some of the movies re-emerged as checked again. And then somehow grew the "other" bar progressively as I unchecked them. The real trouble was...iTunes kindly backed up my iPad with that massive yellow bar. So a "Restore From Backup" was impossible. Factory Restore was my only option. Marvellous.

10. businezguy macrumors 6502

I've had to Factory Restore my iPad twice because of this bug. Annoying indeed!