Huge Performance Problem After 10.6/10.6.1 Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tiemroth, Sep 11, 2009.

1. tiemroth macrumors newbie

After upgrading from 10.5 to 10.6/10.6.1, performance of Mail and Address Book is horrible - I'm talking 1 hour for Mail to open and be ready for use; and 15 minutes for my Address Book to show names. Even once those apps are loaded (they work with normal performance once the beachball finally goes away) my MacBook's fan is always going and CPU is Maxed by "AddressBookManager" and "mdworker" processes.

Further, TimeMachine and Sync are going almost all the time too.

The problem only happens with 1 account on the MacBook. If I login as another user, I don't have these problems.

My guess is that there is some sort of indexing problem where the machine is trying to build indexes and for some reason, can never finish.

(mdworker is the metadata server worker process. It is used by mds to scan and index files as a volume is mounted or a file changes.)

How do I clean this up??

2. tdj114 macrumors newbie

Same here

I'm having similar issues, specifically when running video. I upgraded to 10.6.1 and started experiencing the problems about 21 hours later. A normal res .avi file will pixelate or freeze every couple of seconds.

I'm running a MacBook Pro 2,2 2.16 Ghz C2D w/ 3GB RAM and ATI x1600. I'm also using a 37" LCD in 720p as my main monitor. There were no performance issues using the same configuration in 10.6, however.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TJ