Huge Probelem with Ram when torrenting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by diehardmacfan, Oct 7, 2007.

1. diehardmacfan macrumors regular

I noticed that whenever i am torrenting something (i use transmission) that it keeps using up all of my ram. All of it is inactive ram. Is torrenting filling all of my ram up with inactive ram?? I have 4 gigs of RAM. And after hours of torrenting i have 40 megs free with 261,368 page outs. Now that shouldn't be.

This only happens when i torrent. I can clean it up by running iFreeMem but i dont want to keep doing that. (i've attached a picture of all info about the ran usage.)

Does Torrenting store everything in the ram temporally or something. With 4 gigs of ram and only running transmission should i really have 261,368 page outs??

I would appreciate any insight on this problem.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Inactive RAM is RAM that has been previously used by a process but is no longer needed. It is effectively free for other processes to use at their whim.

Having a large amount of Inactive RAM is nothing to worry about. My guess is that Transmission has been using it for temporary storage of your torrents, like you said. I don't use torrents though, so I'm not sure of the characteristics and intricacies of the different apps. I know some write straight to the drive.

3. diehardmacfan thread starter macrumors regular

yeh it prob is writing to the ram but once transmission runs out of ram it doesnt erase it and use it again. it goes straight into page outs.