Huge problem found on 2.0 firmware

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by orpheusmyth, Jul 13, 2008.

1. orpheusmyth macrumors member

Does anyone have noticed that whenever you put your ipod touch into sleep mode, the battery drains lots but lots quicker than before? I think some app still keep running when the touch is in sleep mode. I've tested that over and over. And I still have tested the battery draining rate when in sleep mode, without have app running before.

2. nish123456 macrumors member

3. orpheusmyth thread starter macrumors member

It's already off. wifi too.

4. kthacher macrumors newbie

I upgraded to 2.0 yesterday and have not seen this problem.

5. RGSMDNR macrumors member

ive noticed poor battery performance aswell, i was just on my way here to post about it when i found this thread.

6. Mashiach macrumors regular

Mashiach

I seem to be ok battery wise its going down a bit faster but thats probably because i am playing super monkey ball alot.

7. fandsw macrumors regular

+1

I disconnected mine from my Mac last night before I went to bed. Woke up this morning and the battery was less than 10%!!!! Checked the settings, turns out the Push email setting was turned on. I've turned it off since I don't have Push email needs to see if that was the culprit......

8. Leeds macrumors newbie

Me 3.

Significantly reduced battery life since the update... and no Monkey Ball for me. ;)

9. Jason Edwards macrumors regular

I was finally able to upgrade to 2.0 Saturday morning and I have not noticed any battery performance issues. I took it off the charge Sat. morning after I updated it and it has not been back on the charger since and I still have probably 80% left and have been playing with it quite a bit. And I never turn it off, just put it to sleep.

Jason

10. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

my battery life has been ok, but i've noticed my internet stop working constantly. very annoying. i have a feeling its got something to do with one of my apps, but not sure which yet.

11. seeny macrumors regular

one thing i notice was how bright the display was after the update, before the update i had the brightness set to just under 50% after the update i’ve now got the brightness at about 5 – 10%

12. xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

Have you guys also noticed that the update has stolen a gb of music space?

13. orpheusmyth thread starter macrumors member

????? On mine it has just stolen 100mb.

14. orpheusmyth thread starter macrumors member

This firmware update is the worst thing apple just made. I can't really understand how is it possible after so much time of developing, all those problems are messing up with our iPod Touch.

15. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

My brightness is bright too compared to 1.1.4, and the ambient light sensor no longer only works when you lock and unlock. I've noticed it changing mid-game. I think that could be another culprit, as it's taking more frequent readings. While I've been using apps a lot, it does seem to go down faster than it should.

16. volsfan macrumors regular

volsfan

I have to charge mine waay more often. I just now turned off push

17. xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

On mine it says the full compasity is 7.1GB of space im assuming it started with a full 8GB.

18. mekopolis macrumors regular

well 8 gigs, formated, (every drive needs to be formatted) would bring it down to 7.7 or 7.4 or somehting...plus the o/s and system files is someting like 228 megs
    so that sounds about right...formatting takes a chunk of the drive
    the higher the capacity, the higher the formatting cost

19. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I leave Push and Wi-Fi on while I sleep at night (I sleep for 10 hours) and when I wake in the morning, the battery has only diminished about 10-15%. Then, throughout the day, I use it with the Wi-Fi always on (except when I leave the house) and by the time I go to bed, the battery has about 40% remaining and I charge it (which I'm doing right now).

For those of you who are asking about the capacity of the iPod touch, mine is 8GB's but says 7.08GB's even tho it used to be 7.30GB's. This is because 2.0 is a bigger OS than 1.0 - 1.1.5. If there is a 3.0, it will most likely be even larger than 2.0.

20. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Wi-Fi was on, I put my iPod touch to Sleep, and a few hours later the battery was drained from 90% to 70% :confused::mad:

21. amphibious macrumors member

Approximately 10% of a drive's size is taking up in formatting, skewing to a lower percentage as the drive gets bigger. A fresh iPhone 3g 8GB has 7.2GB of available space. With the drive formatting and the operating system 7.1GB is a normal amount to have free.

22. techage14 macrumors regular

techage14

I've noticed that my battery has been draining a bit quicker but, not at an alarming rate, per se.
    But, sure, I guess it's an issue that Apple should address in the next firmware update.

23. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

What?

No, it's not formatting that takes up space. It's a marketting gimmick. Read about it in wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte#Consumer_confusion

8GB = 7.45 *real* GB then minus the OS and you get down to just over 7GB. Everything is working as intended.

EDIT: Quote from wiki:

Joshua.

24. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The 8GB touch's full capacity (when taking the 1000/1024 formatting into account) was 7.27GB. After installing the 2.0 update this is reduced to 7.08GB (but the iPod's 'About' section rounds this up to 7.1GB).