HUGE problem...mac HD GONE!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrhockey123, Oct 31, 2007.

1. mrhockey123 macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    So I installed leopard this morning, and I got the blue screen issue.
    Tried to fix it with the suggested solutions (as per other threads) but nothing worked. Also, it should be noted that nothing happen at all...I never deleted any files because they weren't there to begin with.

I was running OSX Tiger with a windows partition through bootcamp.

I just went to school, came back, and tried to go back up my Mac HD files before waging war on Leopard, but after I booted into windows, I apparently have no more Mac HD drive. Now, I know that I shouldn't be able to see Mac HD from Windows, but the partition also does NOT show up if I hit Options during a reboot. The only choice I have is Windows.

I figured what the heck I'll just try ramming Leopard down the computer's throat...but no dice! When I go to install, it only sees the Windows partition which is 25 Gigs (out of a 100 GB hard drive)

I figured OK I'll use the Restore disks that came with Mac, but that did not help either. I had the same issue where it showed me the only available partition was the Windows one.

So what on earth do I do? Please help!!!

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

3. mrhockey123 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah well thanks for the warning lol.
    Question is what to do now!
    Funny thing is i bought a 500 gig back-up drive last night for Time Machine
    ~rips out hair~

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

So can you even boot into single user mode? Also try booting off the leopard CD then going into the menu in the top left and go to disk utility and try repair the disk.

5. mrhockey123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the ideas.

Single User doesn't work.

The Leopard disk did let me run the Disk Utility, which showed my mac as "disc02" and when I used the first aid tab, it couldn't validate it (I forget what the process is actually called) and it couldn't repair it.

I believe it said the file system was messed, but then it did refer to it as Mac HD so I'm confused.

What do you say - should I go back into the Install DVD for leopard, tell it to format the OSX partition, and re-install, or should I just leave this thing alone (and keep using XP for now) and wait til the weekend and try connecting to another Mac and seeing if we can get some files off? My friend is a techie and he could probably try to use Linux or whatever else to try and salvage some files...so should I wait or just format the darn thing? My gut tells me the partition is garbage.

And if I do format, what format do I pick? extended Mac?

I doubt there's anything left of the drive - something screwed it up good and proper.

Somewhere Bill gates is giggling with great satisfaction....and Steve is getting ready to feed his developers to the lions.

Once again, all this started after installing Leopard. It told me the install was successful, then it blew up. I am pretty speechless.

6. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

i signed in after a year or so just to say...

Run disk warrior.

or bring it to the genius bar at a near buy apple store...

7. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Did you repair permissions or verify disk via leopard disc?

8. mrhockey123 thread starter macrumors regular

LOL I'm honoured, Pistol Pete...

I have no OSX though so how can I run Disk warrior?
    Install Disk Warrior on a different mac then connect using Firewire? or is there a bootable disk that will let me run on this machine?

iPhil, I did try both. No dice. Verify is the term I was thinking of earlier...

9. The Man macrumors 6502

If you have important stuff on it, and if possible, you should find friendly folk with another Mac and run your Mac as Target Disk Mode using FireWire. See if your disk becomes visible. I don't know how far you are from an Apple Store. It's always sad when such things happen.

10. mrhockey123 thread starter macrumors regular

We have a West World official mac retailer here, but no branded apple store unfortunately.

I bought my MBP almost a year ago, and this is actually the first problem I've had with it. Granted, iLife '08 had a bug, but it never blew up my hard drive.

I'm trying to run an open source disk recovery utility - we'll see what it finds...at least it understands there is a mac drive somewhere and that it is indeed 100+ MB and not 25 lol.

I'm going to try various things to recover files. Nothing major is on here, just the usual family pics and iTunes libraries. thankfully my econ assinment and my resumes found their way onto my jump drive... note to self: don't install leopard on jump drive...

11. mrhockey123 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh jeez- looks like I get to blame this all on myself (except for leo blue screen)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=209050&page=2

Sounds like the same exact problems / responses from disk util.

You guys think I could just nuke the Mac partition instead of killing everything and re-partitioning?

12. Hobofuzz macrumors regular

Sounds like the GPT header has been damaged. PM me and I'll see if I can help. There's a little too much to do here to post in a thread.

Luckily, GUID disks (which is what Macs use now, in place of the MBR BIOS uses) stores the GPT header at the beginning and end of the disk, so if one is damaged, the other can be used as recovery.

DO NOT reformat. There's nothing wrong with your disc. Partitions only fail when their partition table entry has been damaged. Modern filesystems are virtually impossible to destroy.

13. mrhockey123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very VERY much for your kind offer.
    I didn't know that you could PM at macrumors until now...
    I await your reply :)