huge problem!! please help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djsound, Apr 12, 2007.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

hi there I just changed the name of my main harddrive then i 'logged off' of my computer...when i restarted it all of my user preferences were GONE...i just have a plain desktop and the computer is the way it was when i bought it.if i search through 'users' i found my files but.....is there no way of going back to how it was before? i would have to reinstall all applications etc......please help!!
    i read of someone having the same problem on some other site but he found to answer.....im scared

can io maybe just roll back to a previous start my computer was in?? like this morning maybe?

i had renamed my drive to 'DJ Sound'.when i go to users i see DJ Sound with ALL my old folders and stuff.if i just move them and replace the new stuff would that work do you think?

=(

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Try this KB article

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, the ability to rename your home account folder is a big issue with OS X.

One option:

Go into System Preferences->Accounts and create a new account - called anything but your account name. Make sure it has admin privileges. Go into System Preferences->Accounts->Login Options and disable auto-login.

Log out and then log into that new account. Go to the Macintosh HD->Users folder, find "your" new folder - the one with your original account name that was auto-created when you renamed yours - and rename it to something else. Then find the file you'd renamed before and name it back to your username.

Then try logging out and logging back in under your new name.

Edit: or just do what was posted above as I typed. Duh. :eek:

4. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

5. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

wow you guys are life savers!! i feel the need to take you guys out for some beers...!!!!!!to bad i cant paypal a bottle of something ...thanks guys

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is a major problem to the end user but it is caused by something so little which isn't obviously bad at all.

Glad it is all sorted, bet you are relieved:D.

7. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

very happy hehe..........so i guess now i can go and delete the 'user' that it had created? the '_new' one?

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

As long as you didn't save any files while you were in there and everything is back to normal.

9. 2Shae macrumors 6502

THANKS A MILLION!!!

This just happened to me and I really freaked out, luckily I didn't lose anything :D