Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amelsen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Alright.. so yesterday I got my iMac, and today I attempted to install Windows 7....

Well.. thats all very good and dandy, but when it came to insert my MacOS CD to install Boot Camp... it gives me an error 2229... which basically prevents me from installing it and getting back into my MacOS... heeeelp =)

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Alright.. so yesterday I got my iMac, and today I attempted to install Windows 7....

Well.. thats all very good and dandy, but when it came to insert my MacOS CD to install Boot Camp... it gives me an error 2229... which basically prevents me from installing it and getting back into my MacOS... heeeelp =)

Install boot camp? Hold option when you boot

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
The Option key is the one that opens the boot options when you start up the computer, it's a necessity for Boot Camp :)

Boot Camp Assistant should already be installed.

1) Open Finder, go Applications -> Utilities -> Boot Camp Assistant.

2) Partition your hard drive using the on-screen instructions.

3) Insert the Windows 7 disc that you should have made beforehand.

4) In Boot Camp Assistant, press Start Installation. Your computer will shut down, and will automatically reboot from the Windows disc.

5) Follow the installation instructions. When it asks to pick the partition, select the one that says BOOTCAMP. It will say it isn't formatted properly, so click on the Options button and press Format. Continue the installation.

During installation the computer will reboot several times. When it does, you have to hold down the Option key and select the Windows partition each time otherwise it may automatically boot back into OS X, which you don't want.

Once Windows has finished installing, boot it up by holding down Option and selecting Windows when you turn your computer on. Now you can insert the OS X disc and install the Boot Camp drivers (this basically allows Windows to work with the hardware in your Mac)

Hope this helps :)

amelsen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Boot Camp Assistant should already be installed.

1) Open Finder, go Applications -> Utilities -> Boot Camp Assistant.

2) Partition your hard drive using the on-screen instructions.

3) Insert the Windows 7 disc that you should have made beforehand.

4) In Boot Camp Assistant, press Start Installation. Your computer will shut down, and will automatically reboot from the Windows disc.

5) Follow the installation instructions. When it asks to pick the partition, select the one that says BOOTCAMP. It will say it isn't formatted properly, so click on the Options button and press Format. Continue the installation.

During installation the computer will reboot several times. When it does, you have to hold down the Option key and select the Windows partition each time otherwise it may automatically boot back into OS X, which you don't want.

Which one is the option key? I can only make it boot into Windows 7...

The steps you wrote was precisely the steps I took...

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Which one is the option key? I can only make it boot into Windows 7...

The steps you wrote was precisely the steps I took...

The option key is on either side of the spacebar, it should be next to the command button :)

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Oh.. its the alt key =)...

Cool.. now it works

Thats good :)

Enjoy what your iMac has to offer, I started using Boot Camp just yesterday and having a computer with both the most popular as well as the most stunning operating systems is amazing :)

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Yep = unfortunately Apple assumes were all Americanised and doesn't feel the need to explain that Option = Alt.

They are both written on the key aren't they? alt at the top and option at the bottom. How much more explaining do you need? I guess Apple assumes that computer users can read...

datijn123

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2010
Guys take it easy.
Go to your language configuration.
START - LANGUAGE AND COUNTRY (LAND EN TAAL IN DUTCH).
CHANGE IT TO "ENGLISH (UNITED STATES)"

Done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.