Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Archandy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
I turned on my MBP today and nothing started. Grey startup screen begins to spool then freezes.

I read somewhere that the RAM cards I installed myself might be loose or need swapping around.

I tried this, and to my utter stupidity one of the four metal latches that secure each ram in place broke off completely.

My RAM sticks now cannot make full contact at the copper teeth end as the latch isnt there to hold secure it!!!

How much is this going to cost me to fix ????? I have no Applecare and Im a student with a hell of a lot of work to do.

Im begining to panic. I will go to apple store london (nearest one in 100 mile radius) and ask if they can fix this but I'm worried it will take time and a heck a lot of money.

Anyone ever done this? Any ideas if this can be fixed? Your help will be gratefully recieved.

Andy

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
You could buy apple care now (cheap on ebay) and then say it broke after you bought it, but thats illegal, and rather naughty.

the mac geek

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
You said you only broke one of the latches. Right? If so, one stick should be able to stay in place. I would use the laptop like that until you figure out a cheaper way to fix it.

But yes, if you go to Apple it will cost a lot of money and take a while. But, instead of going to an Apple Store, look for an authorized repair center. They are often cheaper and are more likely to take a cheaper route (i.e. finding a fix for the problem instead of just swapping out the logic board. On many notebook the actual ram mounting unit is separate and can be replaced.

http://www.apple.com/uk/buy/locator/

Pick the "Find Service" option.

Archandy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
I have a local apple reseller who said they would look at it. Might be cheaper

Looking at the bit that broke, its the plastic around the metal clips at the bottom RAM stick that has sheered off. I cant believe it cost £500 to fix such a small piece. I was not overly abusive to it. what bad luck.

Anyway, if it is that much and I cant get home insurance for it, ill super glue the bloody thing or leave it on a coffee shop table for someone to take. Thats not fraud is it :rolleyes:

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
I have a local apple reseller who said they would look at it. Might be cheaper

Looking at the bit that broke, its the plastic around the metal clips at the bottom RAM stick that has sheered off. I cant believe it cost £500 to fix such a small piece. I was not overly abusive to it. what bad luck.

Anyway, if it is that much and I cant get home insurance for it, ill super glue the bloody thing or leave it on a coffee shop table for someone to take. Thats not fraud is it :rolleyes:

Its not £500 to replace the small piece you broke, that small piece is part of the biggest piece in the computer (the logic board, or motherboard in other words) and thats what makes it expensive

motherboard2.jpg

you need a whole new one

of course your computer will still work fine with only 1 RAM slot

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
of course your computer will still work fine with only 1 RAM slot

Very true. Just buy a single 2GB or 4GB stick. You'll have a good amount of RAM but you won't have the dual channel benefit of having two sticks, but hey, saves you a logic board replacement.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
Very true. Just buy a single 2GB or 4GB stick. You'll have a good amount of RAM but you won't have the dual channel benefit of having two sticks, but hey, saves you a logic board replacement.

Ingenious idea indeed. It saves you money from purchasing a mobo and you don't have to go thru fraud. You only lose a slight bit of performance for your self incurred accident.

As for purchasing AppleCare and reporting this, I doubt it will work because clearly the ram added which broke the latch is clearly an user mistake.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago

This is the best solution in your current situation. If I were you I would just grab a 2GB RAM stick and put it in the good slot and wait for the 4GB sticks to drop in price some more.

Archandy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
thanks for the ideas.

I have 2 x 2GB RAM so I could easily just use the top Ram slot for my work.

Unfortunately the problem I had before is still there. I start up and the screen freezes with a grey strip at the top of the loading screen. Sometimes comes up with writing in several languages to restart my computer.....I dont think my RAM has any thing to do with this which is rather annoying - seems I broke a vital part that would not have fixed my problem anyway.

Archandy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
UPDATE: VENTING MY ANGER

Ok, so my local mac reseller / repair store have said that my logic board was screwed before I broke the little latch. This caused the kernal panic and all that. I must get a new one £500 + labour + VAT.

Also, my superdrive was screwed (Ive lived without for a while) I need a new one + labour +VAT.

Basically, I have owned my MBP for 14 months and to fix it, now out of warranty, I must pay close to £1000.

Im sorry, but I feel sick to the core. Yes, this MBP has been the best computer I have ever had. It has eaten up massive renders, multi tasking, gaming without blinking. But after 14 months it burns out rendering it a write off.......such a waste of money. If only I knew I HAD to buy applecare.

I now have to use university computers from the 90's to finish my master in advance architectural design. That will be fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.