Huge problem with reference movies

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by St0rMl0rD, Dec 26, 2011.

1. St0rMl0rD macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

So I've been having this issue since I freshly installed Lion on my iMac. My iTunes Library is in my home folder, which resides on a second partition (so it's easier to start working post-installation). The way I have my movies and TV shows set up is so, that I have the original files on my external HD and only reference movies in my iTunes library. It all worked fine but now every time I want to watch a movie or a TV show it shows the message "The movie file cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly." Even if I point out the good file and it plays nicely, iTunes can't seem to remember the location for the next time and just asks me again (even in between the movie, if I pause, for example). I've tried repairing permissions and keychain but no avail.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,
    -J

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Quit iTunes. Then mount the external drive. Then launch iTunes. Always make sure the external drive is mounted before you launch iTunes.

3. St0rMl0rD thread starter macrumors 6502

Already tried that several times, didn't work - tried again right now, didn't work...

-J

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Once iTunes changes the media folder location, you have to change it back. So, with the external drive mounted, go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced and change the iTunes Media folder location to the proper place. Then close iTunes and relaunch it. It should find all your files. As an alternative, you can have your primary iTunes Media folder on your internal drive, then add the external drive folder to your library. That way, if the external drive isn't present when you launch iTunes, it won't change your primary media folder. When you launch iTunes with the external mounted, it will find the files.

How to split a single iTunes library over two media locations

5. St0rMl0rD thread starter macrumors 6502

My other files in iTunes (music and apps) are working perfectly - they are stored on the internal HD. Also stored on the internal HD are the reference movie files (I import these after creating them, into iTunes). The only problem is the reference files can't seem to get a permanent link to the original files, that are located on the external HD.

-J

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What do you mean by "reference files"?

7. St0rMl0rD thread starter macrumors 6502

When I get a new TV show episode, for instance, I move it to its folder on the external HD, then open it with QuickTime 7 Pro and save it as a reference movie, which then links to the original movie file (usually AVI). I then import the reference movie into iTunes. The new files that I've imported since I've started having this problem are found and linked with no problem (so they play just fine), the problem is with the old ones that I imported a long time ago (before installing the Lion).

-J

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why not simply link to the original file?

9. St0rMl0rD thread starter macrumors 6502

It does link to the original file. Here's the schematics to clarify it:

External HD:Movies:The Simpsons:Season 1:Episode 1.avi

Internal HD:Users:User:Music:iTunes:iTunes Music:TV Shows:The Simpsons:Season 1:01 Christmas Special - Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire.mov

So the .mov file was created from the original .avi file to link to the original .avi file, located on the external HD.

-J