Huge Question about car insurance!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by halfprep455, Jan 1, 2008.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

Can my parents insure my car that is titled and registered in my name? I'm a full time college student and of course cant really afford insurance.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

At the very least, they can give you money to pay for the insurance.

3. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

They pretty much told me that if the insurance company wont cover it that I will have to title the car under their name which I really do not want to do. BTW I have USAA.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Well, as a USAA member I'd suggest calling them and asking....

5. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

The insurance that I had (Progressive) allowed this. The car was titled and registered under me, but my mom was the one driving it.

Then the cars water pump went boom, and now it sits. F***.

6. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You might want to check how it will affect your no-claims discount in the future (I assume that you have that sort of thing in the US).

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

With USAA they should be able to add the car on their policy and list you as the primary driver. It should be really easy and the insurance card should have all your names on it.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is correct. You can be added to their policy and be listed as primary. They will also be covered to drive it. I did this before I turned 21 with State Farm and Farmer's.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I just bought a new car and AAA said that one of my parents had to be on the title with me to add it to their policy. Which was fine, since my dad had to cosign the loan, he was on there anyways

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Waaaay back during my college days (heh!) I was on my parents' insurance even though it was my name on the title. This was with State Farm. Of course, things could have changed.

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

This is what my dad did when he and I bought a car a few years ago. It was his car, but to take advantage of a $1000 new grad rebate, we put my name as the first name on the title. So legally it was my car, but he paid for it and for the insurance.

It was a lot cheaper, too, as I was a secondary driver and he was already established with the company. When I bought my own car and had my own policy established (and removed my name from his policy) my premiums were at least twice as much as what he paid for me.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I dont think USAA cares who's name is on the title/registration, if you want them to insure that car/driver they'll do it.

But, I can't check, both my cars are in my name.