Huge sample variation!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nph, Nov 13, 2008.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

I went to Microcenter today and checked the classic MBP 2.4 and 2.5 as well as the new MB and MBP.

Interestingly enough I made the following observation. Please note I was there for 30 minutes and ensured they all ran the same demo for the same amount of time.

The Macbook 2.0 was significantly hotter than the 2.4, btw 9C89 screen in the 2.4 was also noticeably better.

The classic MBP 2.4 was barely warm and nowhere near as hot as the classic MBP 2.5.

Even after stopping the demos putting ilaps under the two really hot machines the difference was still noticeable. When I looked at two MacBooks at the Applestore running the same demos for longer time they weren't hot underneath at all!

To me it seems that you might be lucky and get a 'good' heat dissipating MB/MBP just by luck and hence the differences in the reviews.
    Why would a 2.0 be hotter than a 2.4???
    Also the MBP (new gen) was not hot at all running this demo while the same model in the Apple store got hot to the touch when running this demo.

Both the classic MBPs were without batteries and the two MBs had their batteries in them.

So what do you think, did I stumble on a known fact about sample variation and luck when it comes to if you get a hot or not MB/MBP?

I know they all get hot running handbreak etc but here we are talking a simple graphic demo app so to me it would be same as surfing and running a few more non intense apps which is when I expect it not to get hot!

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You also have to ask yourself what temp they started at. Was there somebody in the store 5 minutes before you running demos on some of the machines and not others? Was your n large enough to draw reasonable conclusions?