Huge traffic coming in ???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by XPcentric, Jul 13, 2010.

1. XPcentric macrumors 6502

I was asking some time ago telling about the traffic that is coming in, dont know where it originate from. But now its coming with 800KB/s, and its KB not kb. I'm connected directly to internet, no firewall, static IP. I can see in little snitch some local computers. Wonder if I'm safe with OSX ???

kernel_task process was so high, it attracted my attention

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

From your previous post, someone mentioned port 445. That is SMB (Windows file sharing) over TCP. Make certain you have Windows file sharing disabled and your Firewall enabled since port 445 won't come through unless your modem/router is allowing it.

From your terminal try this command, assuming you're connecting over Ethernet:

Code:
    sudo tcpdump -A
    This command will give you a raw view into the data being transferred to and from your computer. You can see the IP address and the port, as well as some of the raw data being transferred.

If you're connecting over wireless, make sure no one is also connected to your router and accessing your computer. Come to think of it, that's the more likely case for 800KB/second transfers.

Even if you are using only one computer, it might make sense for you to purchase a router, just so you get the added security of NAT and a hardware-based firewall.

-Aaron-