Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
I think I have a problem with my VM.

There's 70GB free on my MacBook's 250GB HD, but nearly 50GB of that is occupied by VM. The screenshot was taken immediately after startup, and as you can see there's loads of free memory. I wanted to edit something in iMovie, but I'm not going to have enough free space with this huge VM. What's the problem here?

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    128 KB · Views: 117

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
There's 70GB free on my MacBook's 250GB HD, but nearly 50GB of that is occupied by VM.

Actually no. As you can see in the screenshot you posted, the swap size is zero, so no additional space is being consumed on your hard drive by VM.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Actually no. As you can see in the screenshot you posted, the swap size is zero, so no additional space is being consumed on your hard drive by VM.

Yes, don't panic. This is normal. Mine reads about the same VM size as well.
I'm more irritated than panicked. I had 70GB free or more free since I installed leopard How could it drop to 10GB in one day? I'm seriously out of space here, I have no idea what's taking up the space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.