Huge wireless issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eva01, Jun 25, 2007.

1. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Ok I am having major issues with my internet.

I can connect wirelessly if i have my laptop connected via ethernet to the router and sharing the internet.

However I cannot connect to the internet via wireless through my airport express or through my linksys router.

I can't keep my laptop sharing internet forever, I have to be able to use my wireless routers.

Anyone have any suggestions?

2. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

Ok well I have an update.

I have two cable modems in my house, connected to two different wireless routers.

Neither the two powerbooks I own or the Powermac I own can connect to the internet through either wireless router.

However here is the weird part, we own a IBM laptop and it can connect to the internet wirelessly via both routers, the linksys and the Airport express.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions, because i can't keep using my laptop as a router.

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

So let me get this staight, your macbook pro is connected directly through ethernet, but you want to make it wireless, but it doesnt connect via wireless? Do your computers see the network?

4. eva01 thread starter macrumors 601

eva01

My powerbook is connected via ethernet to my router sharing its internet so my other powerbook and my powermac can get online.

Yes all my computers see the network but non are able to connect to the internet via my linksys or airport express, only through the powerbook.

However our windows laptops can connect wirelessly via the airport and the linksys.

5. bobmangm macrumors newbie

Same Issues

I'm having the same issues; wired fine, but wireless is down.

Here is the setup -

MacBook Pro (fully updated)
    Zoom DSL Modem with wireless G (fully updated)
    On Zoom -
    64-bit WEP (please no lectures on WEP vs WPA, I know, it is this way for a reason)
    not broadcasting SSID
    MAC filtering is on

I have no issues with 4 windows machines and a HP wireless printer. But not getting connection with MBP. I am going to try to see if it is the WEP, but it will be an issue to change it.

BobManGM

6. Vorbis macrumors newbie

Bear in mind if your wireless routers are encrypted that you have to put your passwords in your macs as HEX, and that Airport dialogs expect you to put a '$' before any hex key.

If your machines are seeing the network but unable to connect, its probably your password encryption.

7. bobmangm macrumors newbie

Solved - Well...my issue anyway

Being new to "macs", I did not know that. I also had not found that before. It is a little disturbing that my technicians didn't know that, but I guess they are learning as well.

Thanks. Worked like a charm. No dropping of the signal.

BobManGM

8. Vorbis macrumors newbie

Now that wireless connections are more widespread I would hope to see a bit of documentation about the way OS X handles wireless/passwords/encryption in Leopard...I am no network expert, but surely Airport dialogs could 'automagically' process your passwords as HEX/ASCII, I'm new to Macs as well, and it took a lot of hunting online to find what I was doing wrong.