Huge Word Problem - Need help ASAP :(

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pork917, Sep 20, 2007.

1. pork917 macrumors newbie

Okay so im trying to get my girlfriends word working on her macbook. The problem is her idiot friend installed an illegal copy of word with an used serial. Now i bought her the real package from apple with word/excel/etc.. Whenever she tries to use Word it says the program/serial is in use by another user. How can i wipe that serial out of the program and put her legitimate one in. The problem is she doesnt have a the program to install off the disc since shes a few hours away. I appreciate any help possible because she has a midterms and is trying to type up some stuff.

PS is there anything she can use in the meantime that can save as a word .doc that is free and easy to download?

2. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

eeeeeeh, uhmmmmm ok let me ask you and this is based on Windows, when you bought her the package, was it CD based? I THINK that you might be able to get rid (trash) of the word that was installed b4 and reinstall the new one. If this is not the case then you need to call this number 1-800-275-2273 it's the Apple tech support. Unless they tell you to call MS! For this I'll work on getting in touch with some I know within such walls (MS) to see what they can tell me (hard to say this might help)......

Other than that, can she use your Computer to do the paper, while this issue is being resolved?!

:apple:

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

There should be a uninstall icon (remove?) for Microsoft Office. I couldn't find a place to put in the new serial number for Word.

Remember there is also Google Docs. It currently doesn't support Safari.
    http://docs.google.com

4. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

2 things to try.

2 things.

Firstly try to uninstall the bad copy of word using an uninstaller (AppDelete) springs to mind, it's free. Then try installing the good copy and using the real serial number.

Secondly, download the trial of iWork from Apple. She can create her document (or edit a Word document) and save it as a .doc file. The might lose some of the formatting when the document goes back to Word but that's all.

Cheers.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You might try erasing the Receipt file from her user directory. The other thing to try is to move the .plist file for word to the desktop and restart.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I once had such a problem while I was on campus. If I turned off my wireless internet connection Word wouldn't bother me anymore because it couldn't connect to the net. This is of course just a temp solution.

7. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

I just got back a reply....

this is what I was told from with the MS world....

Have you tried wiping the machine and then trying to reinstall the program? He should have a disc if he bought a real package.

Hope this helps....

:apple:

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

1. If you bought the real package then you should have the disk.Drop her current install in the trash, delete plists - most of mine are in a single folder, so that should be easy - empty trash, try again.

2. Open Office, Pages in iWork (which is now so good it gives word a run for its money), Abi Word, etc.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The uninstaller Remove Office included with your Office distro will do the trick. My brother's unofficial installation had a problem similar to yours and Remove Office fixed things right up.