Hugely controversial view

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by profmatt, Mar 10, 2015.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

My main reason for buying the Apple Watch is . . .

. . . because I want a watch.

I really love the fact you can change the face and I think some of the faces are really, really beautiful and elegant. No regular watch offers that. And no regular watch offers such beautiful faces for the price (of the Sport).

It's a huge plus that the watch will allow me to control my heavy iPhone 6+. And that I'll be able to see my notifications and answer the phone (or see who's calling) without dragging it out of my pocket.

I'm not sure I'm that bothered about the other apps. I'm certainly not looking for or needing a "killer app".

But there's one downside that may really upset me: the beautiful watch faces are not always there. I'm going to be staring at a black box a lot of the time, strapped to my wrist.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you're just wanting a watch for telling time you're much better off getting one that won't require charging every night.

3. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

I'm not bothered about that. I don't wear my watch in bed. I leave it on the bedside table. It's really not a hassle to have it charging.

Besides, once the battery gets low, you get 72 hours of watch-only action from the watch before you need to charge it again.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The screen will be on when you are looking at it.

If you need a watch that tells the time when you aren't looking at it, then you will have to look elsewhere.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I don't think that is how it works. You get 18 hours of mixed usage or 72 hours of watch only mode. Not when the battery is low you get an extra 72 hours of standby time.

6. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

I think/hope you're wrong.

Apple says:

If your battery gets too low, Apple Watch automatically switches into Power Reserve mode so you can continue to see the time for up to 72 hours.

My reading of that is you get 72 extra hours.

7. quinn222 macrumors member

I just posted in a reply elsewhere a long winded version of what have so succinctly stated here. It's a watch. No one needs one. It's jewelry. It's a luxury item. I'm buying one because I want one. I think it's beautiful. It's not cheap but it's well in line with the prices of other decent watches.
    Comparing it to low end watches or saying "I can get something like it for $150!" misses the point. A person driving a Bentley could have bought a Kia. They're both cars, they'll get him where he wants to go. Why pay more for the Bentley? Because he wanted one. It's nicer. I want an Apple Watch, I'll pay the premium for that.

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

lol the apple watch isn't jewelry.

9. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

while i agree cause its a device. Its still somewhat considered fashion because well its a watch... So i guess i just changed my mind even though I'm not sure still.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

damn, that is a nice surprise then :)